1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers window opened on its own

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Chriscooke, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

I woke up this morning to find my drivers window open and the seat soaking wet! This has happened before with the same window. I've heard that vag csrs sometimes have an issue with this. Anything I can check/do to stop this happening again?
  2. gen.heinz guderian

gen.heinz guderian Well-Known Member

Get it scanned to see where/what fault is would be best option.
  3. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

I have an eBay cable. Would this be up to the job?
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

TBH, its usually driver error.

I've done it myself when getting out the car accidentally clipping the window switch. In my case it was on the passenger side, and i only noticed it because i had a passenger getting out at the same time who said "WTF?" and i realised i'd mashed the button when opening the door.

Theres no magical fault that can cuase it, and theres no ECU or fault codes to scan.

The window motors are only powered upto the point where you close the drivers door, so they cant magically power themselves up and wind down after you've closed it and locked the car.

There are only two ways to open the drivers window, one, with the switch, and two, via the central locking module. However the locking module opens ALL the windows simultaneously, so that rules out any fault there...
  5. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

I've had it twice on mine and can absolutely rule out the squidgy organic bit as being as fault. Locked the car and wiped some bird poo off the window. 2 hours later my Mrs comes in and says window is wide open.
  6. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Ive had this before now never looked into it just presumed it was 'driver error' !
  7. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

This happened to me on the drivers and passenger window but only cause I've touched the buttons as I was getting out of the car.

Never seen it happen any other way.

I have heard some of the new models doing it but that happened to all windows not just one, so assumed they had skinny hipster jeans on and it pressed the open button on their remote.

Can't think why it would randomly happen either.
  8. boost-addict

boost-addict Member

this happened to me, drivers window open over night with it pissing down outside
    but thought it was me that left it open which i was 99.99% sure i didnt.

intresting!!!
  9. Rallyman

Rallyman LPG Abuser & have VAGCOM

Yay - I have inadvertently knocked the switch on mine .... good thing I live in a nice neighborhood !
  10. Smeds

Smeds Member

This used to happen on my MK1 TT and has happened a couple of times on the A3, really worrying.