Driver's Side Wiper Arm Hitting Off Bonnet/Hood

Spacer

Reaction score
Hey all,

Had Autoglass replace a windscreen for me today and the technician noted that the driver's side wiper arm was hitting of the bonnet. He showed me the small mark on its underside and you could see this has been happening for a while. I've just got the car a few weeks so it's news to me but we both couldn't work out why this was. The only plausible explanation is that the arm is bent yet it doesn't look bent.. The bonnet seems to be line with the wings. Anyway here's a short video for opinions.

https://yadi.sk/i/eqCbBqAt3JXoeB

Thanks in advance

Is the wiper arm secured tightly, as in screwed down tight? Looks like there is a gap between the back of the arm and where it should fit on the wiper mechanism...if that makes sense?!

Photo 26 05 2017 03 11 25

Reactions: TechNick
Spacer, sorry for the delayed reply, wanted to check my own wiper arm...I can confirm it looks pretty much like yours however the arm doesn't look that bent...(excuse the flora!).

Not an expert but just trying to help...

Attachments

• IMG_4677.JPG
    IMG_4677.JPG
    975.3 KB · Views: 275
Spacer, sorry for the delayed reply, wanted to check my own wiper arm...I can confirm it looks pretty much like yours however the arm doesn't look that bent...(excuse the flora!).

Not an expert but just trying to help...

LOL thanks for that mate it's very much appreciated. I'm inclined to agree that the arm is most probably bent as the linkage and spindles all seem fine. I'll go for an arm and see how I get on and let ya know. Thanks again ;)

An update on an old thread as I have found a resolution to my problem. I bought a second hand wiper linkage and motor from the breakers yard (came as one piece) and now everything works fine. No more arm hitting off the bonnet and no more wiper thud as wipers change direction. Obviously linkage was worn on drivers side.

Hope this helps someone now or in the future.

Reactions: jdp1962 and scotty76
This happened to me after a windscreen replacement. When the wipers were on, the passenger side arm didn’t move across the windscreen enough. In the resting position it was sat higher up the windscreen so the spring in the arm wasn’t tense enough to pull the wiper fully down onto the windscreen and so was hitting the bonnet. All I did was loosen the arm bolt under the cap and reposition further down the windscreen and this pulls the spring which pulls the arm further down onto the windscreen and so won’t catch the bonnet.

This happened to me after a windscreen replacement. When the wipers were on, the passenger side arm didn’t move across the windscreen enough. In the resting position it was sat higher up the windscreen so the spring in the arm wasn’t tense enough to pull the wiper fully down onto the windscreen and so was hitting the bonnet. All I did was loosen the arm bolt under the cap and reposition further down the windscreen and this pulls the spring which pulls the arm further down onto the windscreen and so won’t catch the bonnet.

The issue I had was that both arms sat in the resting position perfectly and moved across the glass as they should but the "elbow" of the driver's side arm protruded to a degree that it consistently hit the bonnet. So I picked up a second hand arm from the breakers but the same thing happened so to get round this I had to really tighten the retaining nut to draw the arm down and away from hitting the bonnet. The problem with this was that because the arm was so tight I was left with wiper thud as the wipers changed direction as the arm was too tight against the screen.

Replacing the linkage and motor fixed everything! The wipers used to drive me mad with the thumping and hours were spent Googling and researching. I hope that my trouble and resolution will help someone else.

Reactions: scotty76 and JLX
Glad you got it sorted. It’s surprising how much difference correctly positioned/working wipers can make. I would go as far to say mine are silent now at full speed. Even before the windscreen replacement there was a very small vibrating sound on full but I always attributed it to the speed they were moving at.

Reactions: Spacer
Glad you got it sorted. It’s surprising how much difference correctly positioned/working wipers can make. I would go as far to say mine are silent now at full speed. Even before the windscreen replacement there was a very small vibrating sound on full but I always attributed it to the speed they were moving at.

There's a lot to be said for silent wipers. I went as far as putting Rain-X on the screen so I didn't have to use the wipers but this just didn't cut it and the wipers were still required at times. But now with Rain-X on the windscreen the wipers just juddered the whole way across the screen. I had to get that stuff off the screen and fast, but how? That was another adventure which took me weeks of researching until I finally found a product that got rid of it lol.

By any chance did you get or do you get an occasional rattle/vibration from your rear-view mirror after the windscreen was replaced? I ask because this is my latest dilemma.

PS: I hate rattles, squeaks and creaks in cars in case you couldn't tell lol