Drivers Side Footwells Swimming Pool - but not the plenum plugs

miniredcooper

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Looking for inspiration...
A few weeks ago I noticed wet carpets down the drivers side of 2004 A4 Avant (UK RHD Car). Having searched the forum duly pulled the battery and cleared the plenum chamber and drain plugs which were silted up (but no water sitting in chamber). The vax pulled out a good 8l or so of nice clean water (no coolant etc in there).

Anyway - was in rear footwell today and lo and behold my factory fitted optional extra swimming pool has returned. Admittedly the weather in Scotland has been its usual monsoon - however I had hoped the blocked plenum plugs were the issue.

Have followed round the door seals to look for tears etc - all seem fine. I haven't come out to open windows as a result of key pressing in pocket by accident or similar. The rear window washer seems fine - so unlikely to be that washer tube leaking.

Anyone got any top tips here, I would like a few pointers before ripping the interior out and starting again.

Cheers in advance guys.

Check the rear wash-wipe connection (under the plastic trim). The joint here can fail if it's been cold and you continue to use the rear wash wipe. I glued mine!

Thanks all. Hopefully problem solved. Seal under the ECU box wasn't seated properly. Actually put a lining of a couple of mm of foam under the seal on the ecu side to bring the seal up by a couple of mm to hopefully give a better compressed seal as wasn't much sitting proud. Hopefully should do the job.

Passed the bucket test anyway.

I noticed once I had the under steering wheel cover off that the foam backed rubber, behind the carpet, directly under the area was damp so looks like this was the problem right enough.

Fingers crossed anyway - I'm sure the Scottish weather will test it for me in next couple of days!

Pull off the windscreen trim also , tap along the edges of screen , pillars mainly , a change in sound will indicate possible
bonding seal has gone plus a slight windrush at speed . A simple quick check , if your still getting soaked front interior ,
after doing plenums , ecu etc i was still getinng soaked carpets , o/s/f pillar bonding had gone , windscreen out re bonded
job done :happy: