Driver's door sensor problem

The Doctor

Reaction score
Website
www.wbmcc.com
Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum, having just bought a 2003 '03 S3 this week to replace my ageing Fiesta 1.25 Freestyle! I'm loving it so far, but as with any new used car I'm starting to discover a few minor niggles that I want to get fixed.

The first one is that sometimes the dash display says that the driver's door is open when in fact it's shut properly. This is a problem because it also means that the interior lights stay on & the alarm won't activate if this happens.

Generally if I shut the door more firmly it solves the problem, but I don't want to go around slamming the door everytime I get in or out. The passenger door & tailgate are fine.

Has anyone else experienced this & can anyone shed some light on how to fix it?

Many thanks,
Paul.

a common problem, plenty of threads if you use the search.
apparently it seems to be worse on hot days, i'm in Spain at the moment in 40 degree heat! get this problem every day, its annoying.

.....it seems to be worse on hot days.....

That's been my experience as well. I just turn-off the light and carry on - no biggie. I haven't got an alarm fitted so I've never been that bothered.

As HP said, there's loads of info regarding the subject.

Microswitch Issue, just do a quick search on the "microswitch, you should get plenty of info.

Its supposed to be quite a fiddly job, which is one of the reasons I have'nt done mine.

As already mentioned, just turn the lights off.

As niltz18t says it is a microswitch issue and a common one

I get this quite a bit now, the only other way I know of 'sorting it' is to cool down the car i.e. open the windows to cool down the mechanism inside and drive for a little while. Then stop and do the door thing this normally cures it for me. However on very hot days this rarely works as it is so damn hot.

On the interior light; once locked it goes off in 2mins if no other activity is registered; alarm is activated but not the interior sensor I believe.

I had this and to be honest I wouldn't bother ******* about with the microswitch. I paid 4rings to change the whole door lock which contains the microswitch and the problem is sorted. it only cost about £100 too.

Thanks guys. I've been quoted £218.50 from APS for sorting this out, which includes replacing the catch and labour (2 hours). Sounds steep compared to the £100 you quoted Westle.

That is a bit steep and it doesn't take 2 hours either! 4rings did it in about 40mins on mine as I watched them. The door lock was about £50 from Audi and they charged me an hours labour at a similar rate.