Drivers door open when its not!!

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Why does my car say that the drivers side door is open, when its not and how come it only happens in the hot weather??

Has anyone else had this problem

Its a facelift S3 btw....

Thanks
Nilz

I used to have a similar problem on my Golf MK4, it kept locking and the alarm would go off when the door was open. I took it to Jody at Midland VW he told me it was the door lock unit, Golfs all seem to suffer from that seems there was a common fault with the units, maybe its the same on Audis too.

Welcome to ownership of the mighty S3 :laugh:
I think you will also get the beeps in the morning if the door doesn't register it being closed

Yep mine dose the same!

I think i you have a poke around there is a guide on here how to fix it, you have to take the trim off remove the window and take the lock out then theres some sort of metal clip/bar/spring whatever you have to bend....

It's something to do with the microswitch, there's plenty of info about it if you search.

I have a drivers side lock with the fix already done for sale. I bought it off a member on here but never got round to fitting it.

Hi,
mine did the same, though Audi recently fixed it under warranty. It was the microswitch in the door lock mechanism.

The problem, as well as the driver info display telling me that the door was still open was that the interior lights would stay on too. Gone are the days of a physical 'push-in' switch in the door jams to operate the interior lights. It's all done by computer these days.

More worryingly though, sometimes the car will not allow you to lock it up as it still thinks the door is open.

This was a very intermittent problem for me, but only seemed to happen when the weather was hot. I never thought it would be anything to do with the weather, more to do with the fact that when the weather is hot, I'd have the window open and use the full closure when locking my car.

Since it shows on the driver display, I think that it should show a fault code, that's what I'd been told by Audi anyway.

Good Luck.

Its a pain in the ***!
Had a look at removing the lock, looked a **** to do and i dont fancy alligning the window frame up once its all been removed

It's that time of the year again! Common fault and always gets brought up when the hot weather arrives. Short term fix is to take the door card off and cover the lock area in WD40. Won't fix it for even but does the job for a month or so. To swap the microswitch for a new one is a right job.

HTH

Damian @ DPM

i had the same problem, and guessed it was the switch, i sparyed WD40 into the door lock mech to loosen it up, and it aint done it since, took a few slams to get the stuff into place but fingers crossed all is well!