1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers Door Not shutting Properly

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by myrichdad, Oct 15, 2006.

1. myrichdad

myrichdad Member

[Oct 15, 2006]
    Hiya All,

Catalogue entry number 4056 - When you want something to go well and cost free - it will go like **** and cost you a fortune.....

SO - Rule - when you aren't bothered either way - everything goes well....

Anyway - what I actually need to know is what has happened to my drivers door. it now doesn't shut so easily which I can see is caused by the fact that it has angled down from it's hinges. Sensor also playing up but i am guessing this is related....

It looks like the top hinge is looser than it should be and as such, door is angling down with own weight - so when you shut it - it has to lift about 20mm to fit into door space....Is this making any sense?

Anyway does anyone know if there should be bushes or washers in the top hinge - it looks like there aren't any now. Can you fit new ones etc....

Anyone else had this? Excessive door abuse i will of course admit too....!

Anyone had one in bits. It should be simple but....

Alll help appreciated.

Kev.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. myrichdad

myrichdad Member

[Oct 16, 2006]
    help anyone?
  4. confusionhunter

confusionhunter Member

[Oct 16, 2006]
    I had the same thing, took it to the body shop and the only way to fix it "apparently" on my 98 A3 was to open the door and put a large jack on the outside of the door, basically forcing it up.... I was cringing when it was being done but it solved the problem...... unrelated but the catch itself failed eventually and the door started randomly opening. Changed the catch on the door and the body and all it well now....
  5. rraghvani

rraghvani Whoever does not try, does not learn.

[Oct 17, 2006]
    Mine done the same thing as well, door looks angled. The latch is scratch due to the door being angled and hence switch was playing up. All of this only seemed to occur during hot weather, but know all seems to be fine.
  6. myrichdad

myrichdad Member

[Oct 21, 2006]
    ok - worth a try - i wonder what causes it then?

will let you know how i get on with the jack!!!