1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drivers Door and Boot Lights Not Working?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Ryan_W, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Ryan_W

Ryan_W Member

[Aug 17, 2012]
    Gents,

Quick one for you.

Just replaced all my bulbs for LEDs (looks great) but my drivers red warning and puddle lights won't work, nor will my boot lights... These didn't work before, so I'm not blaming the bulbs.

The fuses look fine so have you got any ideas?

Where are the switches which say when the door/boot is open?

Hopefully get this sorted since I hate stupid little things like this!

Cheers all in advance,

Ryan
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Ryan_W

Ryan_W Member

[Aug 18, 2012]
    Sooo, after a night of research, I've read that it's the microswitch which is part of the rear wiper mech that is the most likely cause of the lighting issue in the boot.

Anyone got any pics? I assume I've got to rush take the rear trim off and give it a good clean.

As for the door lights, would this again be a microswitch? If so, where's it located?

Cheers
  4. danger S3

danger S3 Member

[Aug 18, 2012]
    the boot lights are controlled by a wee switch in the latch thing on the botom of the boot lid, mine was well corroded because the rear washer had been leaking for ages and it just runs down over it, try giving it and the terminals a good clean up and see if it works, if your rear washer is leaking then you can get a repair kit with all the bits (main bits the wee brass pipe to the nozzle) which will fix it.
  5. Ryan_W

Ryan_W Member

[Aug 22, 2012]
    Right, had another go at this today...

Boot lights are now working, took all of 10 seconds to fix. I didn't take the boot plastic lining out, just prised it away from the boot with a screwdriver and gave the green connector a 'jab' with another screwdriver, hey presto, boots lights came on, happy days!

Now, the drivers door red warning light and puddle lights are still not working..... Any ideas? Once these are fixed, my car is literally 100% as it should be!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Ryan
  6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Aug 22, 2012]
    does the interior light come on as expected when you open the drivers door?
  7. Ryan_W

Ryan_W Member

[Aug 22, 2012]
    Yup, I've just been testing the microswitch and it's fine. When pushed in the interior lights go off and the DIS shows no open doors. When released, the lights come on (not the warning or puddle lights) and the DIS shows an open drivers door....

Really not sure whats cracking. The bulbs are brand new LEDs, but the lights never worked before I changed over either...

I've tested all the connections, but I'll try again......
  8. aragorn

[Aug 22, 2012]
    Ok so the door/footwell lights are all powered by a relay, which provides 12v to each lamp, but it supplies the passenger side too...

Ground goes direct to the door switch which you've already ascertained is working fine.

Check for the appropriate 12v and ground signals at the bulb holder?
  9. Ryan_W

Ryan_W Member

[Aug 22, 2012]
    Haven't got a multimeter at home... That's pretty much the final piece to the puzzle though. If the bulb holders aren't getting 12v, the doorcard will have to come off to try and hunt down the damaged wire (oh joy)... haha
  10. aragorn

[Aug 22, 2012]
    hmm, are both lamps in the door card? Footwell light in the A4 is under the dash.

Seems theres a two pin multiplug in the door supplying those two lamps! Maybe its just disconnected?
  11. Ryan_W

Ryan_W Member

[Aug 22, 2012]
    Maybe, maybe... So doorcard off and see if anythings disconnected...

Has anyone got a pic of what I need to look for?
  12. Ryan_W

Ryan_W Member

[Aug 22, 2012]
    UPDATE:

Boot lights are not working after I 'fixed' them with a thump...

The red circle is what I jabbed with the screwdriver before which made the lights in the boot work, but now they're not.

[​IMG]

What else can I fettle with now the covers off to make them work again?

Cheers
  13. danger S3

danger S3 Member

[Aug 22, 2012]
    the connector on mine that was corroded and stopping it from working was in here where the arrow is attached to the bit that sticks out and locks into the bottom

[​IMG]
  14. Ryan_W

Ryan_W Member

[Aug 23, 2012]
    Boot light now fixed (properly)...

The microswitch connectors were fine, however, the actual plastic housing wouldn't keep together, so the connectors couldn't mate up correctly. Bit of superglue and its held tight together now, happy days.

Switch housing with the white dot (centre of pic):

[​IMG]

The culprit switch:

[​IMG]

Now I've got to get the drivers door card off and see what's happening behind there.......
  15. spartacus68

spartacus68 Member

[Sep 1, 2012]
    Got the same problem with mine - but on A4 Avant quattro. I stripped out the door card - but couldn't see anything obvious. Wiring looks fine. I traced it back as far as the connectors in the footwell on the passenger side. Multimeter to the door light shows it's not getting 12v, although it's getting a little juice as it was a fraction off zero. I'm sure the continuity of the wiring is fine, no chaffing. Interior light works fine and door open function on dash.

Still no puddle light and door light on passenger door. The puddle light on the driver's side and all the other door lights work. Everything else works as it should. Sorry to muscle in on the thread - but my car's symptoms are almost the same. Any advice appreciated.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  16. mihkel

mihkel New Member

[Apr 24, 2013]
    Hi,

I've problem with boot lights. Last weekend I dived into it and checked the lock itself. When I removed the microswitch from the lock and manually pressed it, then I heared some clicking noise from boot. Is it something to do with center lock pump? Whats that in the center of trunk? Ideas? I've attached two pictures. The lock was removed when I took those. Also, I can't get this item removed from trunk, I unscrewed two bolts but it is there like nailed...

13040015.jpg 13040013.jpg