Driver side front indicator playing up.

unitzero

Reaction score
i tried searching but found no real useful info regarding this.

a couple of days ago my indicator started clicking at double speed - so I presumed that I had a bulb out. so checked and yes, the front wasn't blinking. Off I go to my local parts place and buy a pair of 581's them set about the task of removing the headlamp tto change the bulb - After twisting off the old bulb, it looked totally fine - filament unbroken and no sign of it blowing. I decided to put in the replacement anyway.

popped on the ignition and tried indicating right - click click click click - still not working.

does anyone have any clues as to what's going on here ? all the other indicators aand lights work perfectly, it's just this one :(

I'm afraid I don't have a multimeter so can't check. there was one point when re-attaching the headlamp when it seemed to work. but once it was all screwed back in it was dead again.

check fuse
maybe the hazard switch

I'm afraid I don't have a multimeter so can't check. there was one point when re-attaching the headlamp when it seemed to work. but once it was all screwed back in it was dead again.

In that case I'd check all connections at the plug and inside the headlight unit.

check fuse
maybe the hazard switch

would the hazard fuse not cause both inductors to act up ?

James, I shall check the connections as soon as I can get hold of something to check with, may pop to my mates garage and see if I can borrow his tools
(like usual)

update:

Pushed out all the sprung pins / connectors within the indicator bulb holder and where it screws in to the housing and *touch wood* all is well. managed to fit 2 white side lights and my other Philips extreme dipped bulb too.

thanks for the help ;)

Thats really wierd, exactly the same thing happened to me last week. Changed the bulb and it worked OK for a few days then back to double speed again. I did exactly what you did with the bulb holder only yesterday and all is well. It was the drivers side also, very bizarre!

the springs must sag over the years and decide not to make contact a they should ? I'm sure if it keeps happening a new holder shouldn't be too much £ from Audi.