DQ250 to DQ500 swap

The sycromesh on the odd gearshaft fails as they are defective
Hi
I have both connectors dq250 and dq500. the purple black wire is on pin 2 dq500 connector,will my 2014 gearbox work or it has a module protection code?

It should work. Just stick to the wiring i posted. Isolate the other wires from dq250. Worked for me at 1st attempt

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It should work. Just stick to the wiring i posted. Isolate the other wires from dq250. Worked for me at 1st attempt

Is it hard to code the box to my manual Audi A3

You need the wiring diagram from your car and the one from tiguan or q3, do some wiring and it should work.
It's much easier if the car is already DSG because the wires are already there, just swap connectors and you are done.

You need the wiring diagram from your car and the one from tiguan or q3, do some wiring and it should work.
It's much easier if the car is already DSG because the wires are already there, just swap connectors and you are done.
I think I got if done now just needs coding for it to work will let you know how I get on
Thanks again

I found a MYD today because a friend asked me if i have 1 dq500 for him, so giving away mine. Waiting to see production date of this MYD
That 14% longer ratio will help a lot

Reactions: grainqey and S3Alex
Can gateway needs coding to be told if it has a dsg gearbox instead of a manual gearbox
Hi
Do I need to buy a 2010+ can gateway or I can use my one,car is A3 8p 55reg
Thanks

Doesnt need any coding. Gets everything from can

Hi
What about the main ecu does it need coding to work with gateway
I have a gate way from a dsg A3 like mine can I just plug that in?
Thanks

I think you just plug it in and check the box for auto transmission. Should not be difficult.
Save all your settings and just add dsg on the newer gateway or get a gateway from dsg tiguan.
I am still searching for petrol gearbox to replace mine.

You will need a 2010 onwards gateway to communicate with the mechatronics via obd.

I'm not sure if the gearbox will actually work with the older can gateway as there is lin 1.3 and lin 2.0 and the 2010 onwards seems to read both but the older one only reads lin 1.3 (an example is the later steering wheel buttons for mfsw are lin 2.0 - depending which set of buttons you use)

On the coding it's fine as an 02E - the option for which dsg gearbox you have is in the engine ecu

My tuner has the DQ500 on the 2005 manual a3 ..he had to make all wiring connections to the ecu and so on, works perfectly.
Have to ask if he changed the gateway or not.

Hello
Got the car running now it works ok didn't change gateway as yet it needs adjusting to work properly but I'm happy with the way it turnd out
Thanks to you guys for the advise

Reactions: grainqey and S3Alex
Hi Guys

I am parting out a 2013 TT RS Plus With DSG an 21000km on the tacho.
Its going to be a racecar so the DSG must og so i have all the nessesary parts for the swap if anyone is intressed.
Taking serious offers.

Hi Guys.
Iam just about to do a DQ500 swap to my mk6 gti Dq250.
I think i got most parts - a DQ500 NEZ Box from a Tiguan 2.0L TSI , fron axlesm connectorm etc.
Can somone help out with what do i need to do, rguarding the electrics part of things ?
The pinouts on the DQ500 Conector, VS the DQ250 , and what changes do i need to make in VAG COM to make this work ?

Thanks,
Dany.

Hi Guys.
Iam just about to do a DQ500 swap to my mk6 gti Dq250.
I think i got most parts - a DQ500 NEZ Box from a Tiguan 2.0L TSI , fron axlesm connectorm etc.
Can somone help out with what do i need to do, rguarding the electrics part of things ?
The pinouts on the DQ500 Conector, VS the DQ250 , and what changes do i need to make in VAG COM to make this work ?

Thanks,
Dany.

You just connect the pins correctly for the dq500 connector and it works - something to note though, with the age of yours then check that there is a k-line (wire on pin 1 on the connector)

If there's no k-line wire then you may run into component protection as it'll run the diagnostics via canbus

I think my gearbox is starting to slip on hard pull at 4300-4400rpm and then it goes ok till limiter.
Here is a video. Remember this is 2.0 TDI engine, much slower than RS3.

Its more important to back up the dyno numbers with real life performance.
Consider mine is a 2.0 commonrail ,has an estimated 290-300hp maybe. when it does 10s from 100-200kmh i will put it on dyno, not before.
This is a topic about DQ500 swap, lets not spam this one also.

@Master Chief i posted photo of wiring connections, easy to do. Just buy the dq500 connector.

I just bought one of these for my S3 8L. I'd read this thread and knew about the 2013/2014 box had issues. I got a really good deal on a NZT from 2013 with just 22,000 miles on it and the bits I need to fit it. I hoped it'd be an early 2013. Turns out it's got the date stamp of 28/5/13. Is it likely to definitely die? I'm in Australia if it makes any difference but I'm sure they all came from the same factory. I've haven't been able to find a huge number of reports online of failures of the DQ500 synchros, maybe one or two?

IMG_3119.jpg

Hey everyone,

I just stumbled on this thread because I'm looking at doing an AWD swap on my MK6 GTI.

If I decide to do with a RS3 DQ500, which transfer cases can I use? Will a A3 8P AWD transfer case work?

If I have to use a RS3 transfer case, do I also need a RS3 drive shaft? Or can I use a A3 drive shaft? I ask because getting A3 parts is easier and cheaper.

I'm still deciding if I want to go with a DQ250 with LSD or this. My motor isn't build yet, so torque isn't a concern for a DQ250 at the moment.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

For a gti i wouldnt do the swap as its good for 550nm without issues.
I used everything from the tiguan-driveshafts included.
Verify part numbers from a3 and rs3, if they match buy the cheaper one.

Anybody has a DAMOS for the DQ500 gearbox?

For a gti i wouldnt do the swap as its good for 550nm without issues.
I used everything from the tiguan-driveshafts included.
Verify part numbers from a3 and rs3, if they match buy the cheaper one.

Anybody has a DAMOS for the DQ500 gearbox?
I'm leaning heavily towards a 2.5L big turbo engine swap, so putting a DQ500 would allow me to handle the extra torque.

If you planning big numbers then yes the dq500 is a good choice.
My remap is ready to be loaded on the gearbox.
Will let you know how it goes.

Also interested in opinions of using an external cooler.

I just realized I made a mistake with my terminology.

I think the answer is yes, but can someone please confirm that the transfer case from a RS3/Tiguan will bolt up to the prop shaft from an 8P A3?

Gearbox is plug and play, dont worry. I did some hard pulls at 650+nm and oil temperature was 76deg max, so not bad for the moment.
I have another plan to keep DSG oil cool, will use additional cooler for water before sending it to the dsg exchanger.
Supercopa has this setup and it works just fine.

Ok cool. Good to know. Thanks!

Does anyone have the part number for the RS3 support bracket? I've tried digging around but can't find anything.

I did not use anything from the RS3, everything is from my car in order to hold the gearbox in place. What piece do you need? as it's not clear to me.

grainqey referred to a RS3 support bracket.

I don't know if it's the top transmission mount or some other bracket I'm not aware of.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

Does someone have the part number for a 6 bolt flywheel for the DQ500? I believe they were only available on the TDI DQ500's.

Thanks!

grainqey referred to a RS3 support bracket.

I don't know if it's the top transmission mount or some other bracket I'm not aware of.

Thanks

I'm a bit late but for the sake of completeness, the RS3 8P bracket is 0A6409905B. I'm trying to work out which bracket to use on my 06A 1.8T. I have 0A6409905H but I'm not sure it's suitable. The "B" bracket is pretty pricey. What did you guys use on yours?

I'm a bit late but for the sake of completeness, the RS3 8P bracket is 0A6409905B. I'm trying to work out which bracket to use on my 06A 1.8T. I have 0A6409905H but I'm not sure it's suitable. The "B" bracket is pretty pricey. What did you guys use on yours?
I ended up butchering and welding two together - think one was from a tdi tiguan for the transfer box side of it.

I'll probably have to do something similar I guess. I think the H version might work for the TSI/FSI engines as that's what was used on the petrol Tiguan.

Reactions: grainqey
Hello everyone,

This thread is very interesting and will most likely help others in the future. I think there's enough info in here to start a swap. And as I understand it, after the swap, the car should start and drive atleast.

I own a quite unique car, a Skoda Superb MQB with almost 500bhp. The car runs well but I love the DQ500 as I had it in my TT RS back in the days.
Since my car is an MQB, it might be somewhat different from the cars in this thread. I'm only scratching the surface as it is now, but my spontanious thoughts is that a DQ500 from the new RS3 (MQB) should basically be plug and play, might have to swap out the CAN-GATEWAY.

Any thoughts of all this from you guys? My CAN-GATEWAY is: 5Q0907530AJ it also says 5q0907530M

TC, Great work, this was awesome to read!

Hello everyone,

This thread is very interesting and will most likely help others in the future. I think there's enough info in here to start a swap. And as I understand it, after the swap, the car should start and drive atleast.

I own a quite unique car, a Skoda Superb MQB with almost 500bhp. The car runs well but I love the DQ500 as I had it in my TT RS back in the days.
Since my car is an MQB, it might be somewhat different from the cars in this thread. I'm only scratching the surface as it is now, but my spontanious thoughts is that a DQ500 from the new RS3 (MQB) should basically be plug and play, might have to swap out the CAN-GATEWAY.

Any thoughts of all this from you guys? My CAN-GATEWAY is: 5Q0907530AJ it also says 5q0907530M

TC, Great work, this was awesome to read!

Any of the dq500's should be plug and play as they all run on UDS rather than CAN, the problem with the MQB platform cars is that they communicate correctly between the car and the gearbox which will run you into component protection which means a trip to VW or AUDI, followed by them trying to fob you off or want lots of money unless you drop on a friendly dealer (I can't remember if it's just within the immobiliser) there have been people that have swapped from manual to dq250 on the MQB platform on various Facebook groups and ran into component protection so might give you a better answer on there (I've personally never had a problem with it but I didn't have an MQB)
HTH

Any of the dq500's should be plug and play as they all run on UDS rather than CAN, the problem with the MQB platform cars is that they communicate correctly between the car and the gearbox which will run you into component protection which means a trip to VW or AUDI, followed by them trying to fob you off or want lots of money unless you drop on a friendly dealer (I can't remember if it's just within the immobiliser) there have been people that have swapped from manual to dq250 on the MQB platform on various Facebook groups and ran into component protection so might give you a better answer on there (I've personally never had a problem with it but I didn't have an MQB)
HTH

Thank you for your humble reply mate!
So what you're saying is that if I get the correct DQ500 (basically MQB DQ500) and stick it in my car (BAM!!!) It will work out of the box as long as I have a nice workshop? The workshop just clicks the Component Protection button and it all just works?
A friend of mine is a very good mechanic at an authorized dealership. He will for sure help me.