DPF light on dash!!! Arrrggghh

scotty2hotty

Reaction score
Ive got an 07 a4 2.0TDI and I've done approx 50 miles in it since I've had it and now the DPF light has come on so I took it down the motorway in 5th gear at between 2k and 2.5k, I've done about 40 miles and the ****** light is still on ( not impressed )
Any advice??????

Invest in having it removed and the car mapped?

Have it taken out and cleaned and refitted?

Have a shiny new one fitted?

Think thats about the total of your options. I went with door No1.

Oh, I also think it needs a good booting to try and clear it rather than a constant RPM but that could be wrong.

A friend of mine is an auto electrician and has vagcom he said he can plug it in and force the DPF to regenerate itself so im going to try that tomorrow.
How much is it to have the DPF mapped out and can you just take the DPF off and smash out the insides??

id like to think its not a sensor fault (or any fault thats going to cost any money for that matter lol) as the car has done less than 37k but i suppose the mileage means nothing these days

that reminds me we have some forte DPF cleaner stuff at work which is meant to be really good stuff may give that a go if the regeneration through vagcom doesnt work.

get it removed!!! best thing i have ever done getting rid of mine. i also got rid of the egr as well, car drives way smoother now and with the remap pulls like a train.
if your willing to travel try rick @ unicorn motorsport, hes done all my work and really is a clued up bloke, not some one just putting generic map on your motor.

replace the g450 dpf pressure sensor. try the regen again.
"I took it down the motorway in 5th gear at between 2k and 2.5k" this is correct way to do the regen.

the g450 sensor is around £50 new.

Check blocks 70 and 75 on the engine controller in VCDS/VAG-COM and post us the results.

get it removed!!! best thing i have ever done getting rid of mine. i also got rid of the egr as well, car drives way smoother now and with the remap pulls like a train.
if your willing to travel try rick @ unicorn motorsport, hes done all my work and really is a clued up bloke, not some one just putting generic map on your motor.

Have you got a link for Unicorn motorsport.

Mac

How much was your DPF delete pipe?

Block 70 status 4 regeneration =000000000
regen time (total) 2999.8 s
failed regenerations 1.0
successful regenerations 0
Block 75 :-
temp before turbo 164.3 deg c
temp before partic filter 150.0 deg c
partic filter load 29.5%
temp after part filter 159.5 deg c
are these readings correct????
also the temperature before turbo fluctuates by about 40 degrees just by reving it is this right???

ash loading 29.5%. its not over loaded, should be able to regenerate it.

temp readings look correct for an idling engine.
when the regen is happening when being driven the particulate filter temps go up to as much as 650 degreesc to burn the soot off in a clean manner.

even if you have no fault codes relating to the g450. replace it anyway.

Your filter load isn't what I would call bad. The sensors look like they are working as they should and yes it should fluctuate when revving.

I would do a force regen just to try and get the load down a tad. the reason you have the light is the failed regen as it took too much time.

Just for future reference in case someone else needs to do a regen here are the steps.

Prerequisites (General):

• Ignition ON
  • Engine ON (Idle)
  • Coolant Temperature above 50 °C (see MVB 002.4)
  • Particle Filter Load below Specification (see MVB 075.3, VAG-COM should give the specified value)
    • If the Particle Filter Load is above Specification the Particle Filter needs to be replaced since the car may burn down when regenerating.
  • Power Consumers ON (Light, Seat Heating, Front/Rear Window Heater, Climate Control)
Conditions (Driving Cycle):

• Vehicle Speed between 30-60 km/h (18-37 MPH)
  • Engine Speed between 1500-2500 RPM (4th or 5th Gear, Automatic Transmission in Tiptronic)
  • Duration approx. 15-20 Minutes
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature before Turbo Charger above 700 °C
Drive the car based on the above conditions until the Particle Filter Load is as low as possible (close to 0 %). In case the regeneration fails there can either be problems with the Driving Cycle Conditions or with the Engine Hardware.
[Select]
[01 - Engine]

[Coding-II - 11]

• Enable Regeneration by Entering 21295.
  • [Do It!]
(when you enter this you'll see EGT before turbo jump up to around 750degC!)
[Meas. Blocks - 08]
Select both Groups at once 070 and 075.
[Go!]
MVB 070.1: Regeneration Status (xxxxxxx1 = Normal Regeneration active, xxxxxx1x = Forced Regeneration active)
MVB 070.3: Regeneration Counter/Timer
MVB 075.1: Exhaust Gas Temperature before Turbo Charger
MVB 075.2: Exhaust Gas Temperature before Particle Filter
MVB 075.3: Particle Filter Load
MVB 075.4: Exhaust Gas Temperature after Particle Filter

Now Start the Driving Cycle and keep watching the Measuring Blocks (2nd Person required).
(You should see DPF load start to reduce from 20% down to 0% pretty quickly. If at any point EGT before turbo drops back down to a lot less than 700degC re-enter the login code and start the procedure again)

[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

betwwen 0 and 10% is good/normal i think above 40% and the diagnostics wont let you do a forced regen. risk of fire!

if its only at 29.5 and its not regenerating itself in normal use.

g450...........

I did a forced regen on it yesterday I borrowed my mates vagcom and thankfully the percentage dropped quite quickly and I got it down to 0% :)
im still thinking about deleting the DPF does anyone know how much a delete pipe will cost??

dpf delete, egr delet and remap all in the same job from unicorn is £500, best money you will spend on that car!!

hes in singapore though this week if your trying to get hold of him.

yeah i think so lol

They seem more hassle than there worth these dpf's.

Honestly one of the best things I have done getting rid of the DPF. No more worry over the fill levels.

Hi

I brought a 2008 57 plate Audi A4 2.0 tdi sline convertible 115k full service history , remapped last week , private sale so no warranty.
Drive 12 miles and got the dpf light on ***.
Had at my local garage for a read which showed no faults .
He did a forced regen , he said it was only saying 6% soot before the regen .
two days latter the light came on again so I did a run down the m42 at 3k rivs until the light went off .
Another 100 miles I came on again so I replaced the dpf sensor with a new one .
I also removed the egr valve to check that , it was solid with soot and cleanly has not working for a very long time , strangely to error code for this or eml.
I cleaned it up like and new and refitted it and went for a spin , the car definitely drove different I could feel it was not pulling as much fresh air in as it was before , letting off the gas at speed the car would now still roll on with little difference , before it would pull back and slow when you take your foot off the peddle .
So I thought it was all fixed and running well until today , the felt sluggish like the turbo was not kicking in then the dpf light came on again .
20 mins down the m42 it’s off again for now but what’s next the try ????
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: