DPF filter and the MOT smoke test

S3 Dave

Now running on Heavy Oil
Reaction score
Took My oil burner for it's MOT last week and it was that good on the smoke test it would not register! 0.01 at idle 0.03 at redline.
The gas machine said it needs to be revved and wouldn't accept the test! How mental! Failure due to being too good. Got around it in the end but doesn't the test needs changing for cars with a DPF!!. Good reason to get get it took out in my book!!

Took My oil burner for it's MOT last week and it was that good on the smoke test it would not register! 0.01 at idle 0.03 at redline.
The gas machine said it needs to be revved and wouldn't accept the test! How mental! Failure due to being too good. Got around it in the end but doesn't the test needs changing for cars with a DPF!!. Good reason to get get it took out in my book!!

Sounds a bit wrong to me! Also I thought the diesel smoke test was optional!!

All diesels made after 1st August 1979 are required to have a smoke test. With DPF the smoke meter should have an rpm device which connects to the battery or cigarette lighter which somehow works out the engine rpm. We use this system at work and never have problems with DPF cars though they are only just starting to get to the age for first test.