1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPF Error today

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Spurrellian, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Spurrellian

Spurrellian Member

[Mar 24, 2013]
    Car has 1300 miles and is a 1.6tdi just over a month old. Over the past week the fan has been on when turning the car off and had a hot smell to it. Managed to clear the message by taking it for a good run. Ill admit I've been doing short journeys but quite surprised by this. Anybody else had this issue?

Oh and also the passenger seat lifter rattles. Its not broken but i can hear it rattle on rough roads.Can I take it back to get it fixed?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

[Mar 25, 2013]
    When you say 'short journeys', how short are we talking?

And yes, if you've identified a rattle take it back to be fixed under warranty. Garages are well used to this on new cars so it won't seem picky.
  4. paul8852

paul8852 Member

[Mar 25, 2013]
    Ive had the same scenario with my A6 MY12 2.0 TDI especially after short journeys, spoke to my local car dealer about it and they said its nothing to get concerned about, its just the way they operate, I have to admit at first it was a little disconcerting...rang other Audi dealers for verification but they came back with the same message, I would suggest giving your dealer a call...never had this issue with previous BMWs, hope this may help.
  5. WingoWango

WingoWango Member

[Mar 25, 2013]
  6. Danny Fireblade

Danny Fireblade Member

[Mar 25, 2013]
    I've had this on my VW before. The manual says drive in 4th gear for 15 mins at 2000 revs and that clears it. It's just a build up of **** in the DPF which needs blowing out. A pain but nothing else, and yes, I also do short journeys, sometimes a few miles and less.
  7. mjc

mjc Member

[Mar 25, 2013]
    I have a 2.0 litre 150 PS TDI A3 Sport with similar mileage to yours, I occasionally hear the fans run on along with the hot smell you describe when parking up on the drive and always put it down to the DPF 'regenerating', my previous Golf Mk6 2.0 litre TDI would also do the same. The first time it happens you do tend to think there's a problem, but in my experience the process normally stops within a few minutes.

I do a fair amount of small journey's (school run etc.) between the occasional longer journeys, never had the DPF warning light on though.
  8. Spurrellian

Spurrellian Member

[Mar 25, 2013]
    Thanks for the replies

Some days I only do 12 miles a day to and from work. After I posted this question I read this on the AA website http://i.imgur.com/KJXJeXg.gif

The rattle is tiny but bugging me so will book it in

Cheers
  9. s33nyboy12

s33nyboy12 Well-Known Member

[Mar 28, 2013]
    Just paste the **** out of your car for a bit ( spirited driving I mean ) :)

most my family and friends live within 3 miles of me, so I do a lot of short journeys in my cars and I've never had any DPF problems on the 7 diesel cars I've had.

Sean