1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DPF delete, any alternatives to Milltek?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by max69vk, Nov 9, 2012.

1. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

[Nov 9, 2012]
    Well as per the title really, I was wondering if anyone else did a DPF delete pipe for the TDI PD170. Gutting the DPF isn't really an option as to all intents & purposes its working fine, & I'm only removing it so I can up the power from the stage 1 I'm currently running & I'd like to keep the option to return the car to standard if possible.

Finding a knackered DPF to gut has proved fruitless (despite the fact there must be loads of them out there), & the only other option is a hand built T304 delete pipe for around £300 which isn't too bad, but I'd prefer an off the shelf pipe if possible. Any ideas??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 21, 2014]

3. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

[Nov 10, 2012]
    Or anyone know where to find a knackered DPF?
  4. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

[Dec 4, 2012]
    Bumpadoodledoo!
  5. 170sam

170sam New Member

[Dec 4, 2012]
    Darkside developments do a delete pipe now
  6. shady-ninja

shady-ninja Active Member

[Dec 4, 2012]
    a straiight through stainless stteel custom pipe.
    why waste time with expensive miltek
  7. chris1988brown

chris1988brown Member

[Dec 4, 2012]
    super sprint now do a delete pipe you can find it on ebay
  8. chris1988brown

chris1988brown Member

[Dec 4, 2012]
    because it sounds frigging awesome
  9. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

[Dec 5, 2012]
    I was looking at a custom pipe for £300 but I prefer the idea of an off the shelf job if possible (means I can fit it & be 100% it's fitted right).
  10. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

[Jan 3, 2013]
    (LONG POST ALERT!!!)

I've managed to get my hands on a working 2nd hand DPF for less than a Miltek or Custom pipe so it looks like the gutting option is the way forward (BTW if anyone wants to swap there knackered DPF for this working one + a bit of cash my way, shout now before I destroy it!). Now Ive seen plenty of discussions on cutting the case open, removing the honeycomb, & welding it back up, however from my experiences of fitting exhausts to other cars this has left me wondering about a couple of things...

By removing the internal honeycomb it will in effect be creating an unbaffled muffler which tend to create annoying resonances or exhaust droning (in my experiances at least) that I really dont want. I'm aware that the turbo itself massively reduces the exhaust noise/drone, but this still strikes me as being potential issue & not one that I want to experience after the b*ll ache of removing the old & fitting the new one. Has anyone any experience of the noise difference before & after gutting the DPF, how noticeable is it?

Secondly by removing the DPF internals its going to affect the exhaust back pressure massively. We all know that the DPF creates far too much back pressure, but surely having none at all (especially so close to the turbo outlet) is not a good thing either?

After rooting around on the web I've found lots of discussions where people have removed there DPF & literally smashed or drilled out the honeycomb between the inlet & outlet pipe (which I know isnt possible on this DPF), which takes care of the potential resonance & back pressure issues - A bit like running a Miltek pipe but with stock DPF appearance. Has any one tried cutting the internal of the DPF so that it creates a channel from the inlet to the outlet or welding a pipe internally rather than just completely gutting it?
  11. Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Jan 4, 2013]
    Hi, we carry out a lot of DPF removals. There are lots of misconceptions regarding what happens when you remove the internals. This is the most common way we carry out the mod. There is zero increase in boom/resonance. It's actually quite difficult to get boom on a diesel as the turbo is so small it acts as a very efficient silencer. The reduced back pressure means quicker spool up and more power. We alter the boost control in the map to prevent the boost spiking. The one increase in noise you will get is turbo whistle, but this is a pleasant noise and I don't think anyone would complain!

Rick
  12. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

[Jan 4, 2013]
    Thanks for the info Rick. I wasn't sure how effective the turbo would be at silencing the exhaust but it sounds positive at least, with regards to the whistling (I know this will be hard to quantify), but is it loud or just background noise?

The main reason for the DPF removal is that Im going to doing a lot more urban driving soon & I dont want the headache of the constant regens etc, the power gain is a welcome bonus but ideally I want the car to drive smoothly & as quietly as standard. :)
  13. hursty

hursty Member

[Jan 4, 2013]
    I have a dpf removed from my 57 plate 170bhp 2.0 tdi in 2010, its was 3 years old at the time and had 50,000 miles with no problems (old cliche) motorway miles, this could be gutted for remap or as a spare for a faulty dpf. Sorry for the shameless advert which may get moved to the classified. No sensible offer refused, collection from LL18, North Wales or could meet up somewhere up northish
  14. Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.

Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Jan 4, 2013]
    Hi Max, I understand your concern but it is really nothing to worry about. I'm quite picky with noise - i.e. i don't like it. You can hear the whistle with the window open if you accelerate, but around town it's not going to be noticeable.

Rick
  15. Rhyso

Rhyso Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 5, 2013]
    the hooting owl!!! I think its great and adds a bit of character to the car :)
  16. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

[Jan 5, 2013]
    It's sounds like it could be similar to when my turbo to DPF clamp wasn't fitted correctly, I used to get a constant whistle sound when driving. Or is the owl sound something different?!
  17. Rhyso

Rhyso Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jan 5, 2013]
    mine is only present between 1600rpm and about 2200rpm
  18. max69vk

max69vk Active Member

[Jan 13, 2013]
    I need to check the DPF I have is correct (Im not cutting up the original), the part numbers I can find on the part are;

BBP 12 702 25
    3C0 131 785 D
    3C0 181 DA

Searching on Google brings up nothing, & for some reason I can't get onto VAGCAT at the moment, can any one confirm this is the right part for the PD170?