1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downpipe - removal and possible upgrade question?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Nathan Revill, May 4, 2012.

1. Nathan Revill

Nathan Revill New Member

[May 4, 2012]
    So, I was driving out of a car park the other day and BOOM, this metal slug in the floor ripped the flexi in half on the downpipe so I need a new one. Just for the part Audi quoted £250, Euro Car parts don't do one, so I was looking at getting a new flexi and welding it on, or buying a second hand exhaust off eBay, but I have the opportunity to add a de cat downpipe, so a few questions.
    1. Do I really have to unbolt the drive shaft to the rear to remove the downpipe? I just cannot seem to get the exhaust out!
    2. If I put on a de cat from ebay like this one, will it fail the next MOT, as I saw somewhere that says, if your car originally had a cat, it must have one to pass the MOT now, and would if fail on emissions?
    If I do go down the welding a new flexi on, Anyone around Bournemouth want a few quid to weld it on?

Its a 99V turbo Quattro, currently mapped to 212BHP.

Thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

[May 4, 2012]
    Yes a decat will fail an MOT, your best best would be to get a sports cat or some people put the cat back on for MOT time but thats a bit of aggro in my opinion.

I don't know about how to change the DP as I've not done it before but if you use the search on here, you will prob find a guide on how to do it.
  4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[May 4, 2012]
    Should mention that the DP you have linked too isn't a straight fit for the A3 quattro... its for a fwd A3 which won't have the prop in the way... the A3 quattro uses twin cats like the S3 too but smaller bore..

<tuffty/>
  5. jay1601

jay1601 Well-Known Member

[May 4, 2012]
    go de-cat. either just put the cat on for the MOT or if your friendly with a tester they will pass it for you
  6. actualeddie

actualeddie Member

[May 4, 2012]
    is it easy to switch cat on and off if you have the tools/time?
  7. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[May 4, 2012]
    depends on the setup... using the A3 DP linked to above you would need both the decat and sports cat version of the centre section (would possibly have to buy 2 x DP's to manage that) then you swap between the two as you need to...

Of course that doesn't help if they decide to pull you over for a roadside spot check...

<tuffty/>