1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

downpipe problems, s3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by LFleck, Oct 13, 2013.

1. LFleck

LFleck New Member

[Oct 13, 2013]
    Okay so really struggling to get the standard downpipe off, working on my drive way I have the whole pipe unbolted cats are off and its also off turbo too

But Im struggling to cut it as I dont have the correct torx bit to take the drive shaft off out of the way, i probably dont have suitable cutting tool either, can anyone help?

Or if your local to kettering, northants you fancy giving me a hand?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 23, 2014]

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 13, 2013]
    Cut through the flexi if not planning to reuse... I have air chiselled through these in the past to remove the DP... normally have to drop the subframe, remove driveshaft to to remove through wheel arch

<tuffty/>
  4. slowcoach3

slowcoach3 Active Member

[Oct 13, 2013]
    If you drop the subframe down as far as you can on the bolts and unbolt the prop shaft at the engine end ( 5 x 13mm bolts iirc ) then you should be able to get it out in one piece. I ended up using a big **** off hammer, chisel and crowbar to split mine in half at the flexi......
  5. darren t

darren t Member

[Oct 13, 2013]
    Cut the bracket where it bolts too the cats and pull out from up top or drop the subframe slightly is the normal way!
  6. LFleck

LFleck New Member

[Oct 13, 2013]
    Hey dude I tried cutting the flexi but iv only got a hack saw, how long did it take with an air chisel? My mates got one I may be able to borrow :) if I cut it I dont need to remove the drive shaft or drop the sub frame do I? New one should slipe straight in?
  7. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 13, 2013]
    Been a while since I did one but from memory I didn't drop the subframe... you only need to undo the shaft from the gearbox IIRC to be able to move it out the way... I also undid the dogbone mount and propshaft to get some extra wiggle room...

As Darren said you may have to cut the bracket from the DP where it suspends from the subframe... but unbolt the other bracket fromthe subframe first as this will give you some room too...

Its a fiddly/tight/**** job but be patient and it will come... cutting the DP at the flexi should allow you to take the top half out the wheel arch and the bottom half should either follow or should wriggle out the tunnel

<tuffty/>
  8. LFleck

LFleck New Member

[Oct 13, 2013]
    i have pulled the downpipe down and as far back as i can get it and this is what it looks like... so i can cut this where it is then remove it from the top?
    20131013_172953.jpg
    to lower the subframe rather than cutting the pipe is it just these 2 bolts pictured below?
    20131013_174131.jpg

kinda tempted to lower the subframe and see if i can get it to slide out that way :)
  9. LFleck

LFleck New Member

[Oct 13, 2013]
    Looks like i wont be at work tomorrow so hopefully weather stops so I can either get it done or put it back together....

Take it with sub frame I need to unbolt the steering rack...support that and lower the subframe from the 2 large bolts at the rear?
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. darren t

darren t Member

[Oct 14, 2013]
    Lower the subframe slightly undo steering rack bolts but leave in situ!! Lower subframe as far as poss on the bolts!!
  11. LFleck

LFleck New Member

[Oct 14, 2013]
    Im not doing it now...im taking it bahnstorm in northampton, hes going to do it for me, hes going to cut the box out of my millteck system too :)
  12. darren t

darren t Member

[Oct 14, 2013]
    Sounds nice with the box removed lol
  13. LFleck

LFleck New Member

[Oct 14, 2013]
    I hope so, watched one video on youtube that says decat and millteck box which does sound really nice... cant wait to get it done now :p after all the stress this weekend of trying to do it and failing lol
  14. darren t

darren t Member

[Oct 14, 2013]
    Sound awesome on mine:yes:
  15. LFleck

LFleck New Member

[Oct 14, 2013]
    Ill get a HD video once mines done and post it up :D