1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

downpipe fitting.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by cawsey20, Jun 30, 2010.

1. cawsey20

cawsey20 Member

Hi guys,
    How hard is the downpipe and decat to fit to an S3 ?. Can it be done with axle stands and a high lift trolley jack ?.
    Or is this a no/no .

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. S3KO4

S3KO4 Member

it can be done.

4. Dansmith

Dansmith Member

if your changing the downpipe i can see it being very awkard! I know when mine was done they lowered the sub frame to remove the down pipe!

If your going to de-cat it personally wouldn't worry about a 3" down pipe! stick with the standard and just get a decat! u will see very little diffrence in performance and then u will be able to put the cat back in easily at MOT time!

5. cawsey20

cawsey20 Member

Really ?. Most people seem to say that the downpipe is the most restrictive part :S is this not correct ?

6. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

Its the opposite to that, if you were to do just one id recommend doing the DP as the cat isnt very restrictive where as the DP is.

7. Dansmith

Dansmith Member

the garage i had my downpipe and cat fitted reckoned it only made around 2bhp difference between a 3' downpipe and the standard (both with de-cats) with the flow checks they did with the car. and will save u alot of hassle when it comes to mot time! changing the downpipe seems a right chore!

Must admit personally don't think ive seen much difference in fitting 3" downpipe and 100 cell cat, (apart from noise)from standard, really not worth the money I paid anyway... maybe i will be thinking differently once I change to a stage 2 re-map.

If I could turn back time i would of done my suspension for not far off the same money!

8. S3 D2HTY

S3 D2HTY Member

Downpipe is a bitch. Got to drop subframe or take out prop shaft. To get standard downpipe out lol.

9. S3KO4

S3KO4 Member

I managed to shave off 460 of a second at the pod, with the DP and 120cell. so I would say it does help even though it has not been stage 2 yet.