1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

downpipe blowing again :-(

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by russwuss, Jun 30, 2013.

1. russwuss

russwuss Member

Hi All,

Just after a bit of advice...

Car went in for a new clutch and to have the manifold / turbo / downpipe looked at as it was blowing from somewhere.. turned out it was the turbo to downpipe gasket had blown.

Garage fixed that and all was good in the world.

two week later I noticed the car started sounding a little bit louder at tick over and when the turbo kicks in I started hearing a ticking noise (exactly the same as what it was doing before..)

I went straight back to the garage and said 'I think the downpipe gasket is gone again or the bolts are loose' to which he replied 'oh yeah it's a common fault, the bolts do tend to loosen up - bring it back in a week and we'll have a look' is this true?

Really hope he's not expecting me to pay again..

So my questions are.. is it really a common fault that the downpipe bolts come loose (I'm guessing not)? Is it a hard job to tighten up the downpipe bolts? Do you think if I did take it back to the garage it's likely I'll have to pay again?

thanks!
  2. joebickerton89

joebickerton89 Member

if you have a proper 2ton jack jack it up and get underneath mate also if you have a socket set your be able to do it bud. they can come undone if not tightened up properly obviously so if you have a socket set and a jack or some axle stands get underneath and your be able to see the downpipe
  3. russwuss

russwuss Member

oh okay.. cheers! I've gotta get the car on axel stands anyway to fix the earth strap on the haldex, so I will have a look to see if I can reach it.. thanks!
  4. joebickerton89

joebickerton89 Member

no probs mate i undone my downpipe and im a dumbass so your be cool haha
  5. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Normally the blowing is either the turbo/manifold bolts coming loose and blowing through the turbo/mani gasket or (if an OE downpipe) the flexi... if its the flexi then its new DP time...

<tuffty/>
  6. russwuss

russwuss Member

haha, thanks mate.. hopefully so!
  7. russwuss

russwuss Member

They apparently last time replaced the turbo / downpipe gasket? that did fix the issue.. it's exactly the same noise as it was before. It's OE downpipe.. when you say Turbo / Manifold, is that the 3 17cm bolts that sit underneath the hard charge pipe? I took the charge pipe off yesterday and checked that area.. blowing was coming from underneath there, could feel air with my hands.
  8. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

Try using Nordlocks on it next time
  9. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

The studs/nuts from the K03s are better then the bolts the K04 use so it's a good idea to swap your fixings.
  10. vrbob

vrbob Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Out of interest where is the best place to get new gaskets for the turbo to DP section and also the DP to Cat section?

Is there also any alternatives to the sleeve that joins the cat to the rear section?
  11. Westy

Westy Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Believe it or not the OE gaskets from the dealer are the best to use. Also I had to re use that sleeve to connect my XS decat section to my miltek. I think a custom made part from an exhaust place would be a better alternative.
  12. vrbob

Cheers bud,

Will take a trip to TPS at some point and grab some as I think I will redo them again at some stage.

That or go visit a proper exhaust place and get them to do it all and replace the sleeve thingy too.
  13. vrbob