Dopey wimmin's questions...

ccc

Reaction score
I've just picked up my A3 1.8 TS after a major service, and there were some notes on the paperwork. There was no one around to ask for advice at the time (just someone to take my money!!), so I hope you can help me.

Apparently the 'turbo recirculating valve is weak'. Is this the same thing as the diverter valve? If not, what is it, can it be repaired/replaced or am I looking at a whole new turbo?

Also, 'the rear brake pads and discs are getting low and calipers sticking slightly'. Is this likely to be expensive to fix? Do I need to put my son on the streets to finance this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As ever, any advice or thoughts would be very welcome. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/kiss.gif

Hi,

the turbo recirculating valve is definately the DV so thats a nice cheap one for you!

I also have a 1.8TS, and my rear drivers side brake squeeks at about 40mph... and at slow speeds the binding is quite loud so i also need to get thsi sorted, but will hopefully be under warranty! I think its likely to be expensive!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
ccc said:
Also, 'the rear brake pads and discs are getting low and calipers sticking slightly'. Is this likely to be expensive to fix? Do I need to put my son on the streets to finance this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Think it could be £300++ job for brakes. It would be better if you had a daughter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I had the front discs and pads replaced on my 1.8TS at the dealers and was actually pleasantly surprised at the cost, can't remeber how much it was but it was less than my old Clio 1.9D which given the performance difference is pretty good. The calipers are probably just clogged with brake dust and need a clean whcih should get done at the same time as the pads/discs are replaced.

DV is pretty cheap, but I would recommend changing it with an after market one.

The stock ones are renowned for not lasting very long, and leaking which makes them inefficient - an after market DV would give you much nicer smoother gear changes.

Many thanks for all your replies! A great help.

The Forge DV is the one I hear recommended most often. I can't complain too much about the valve on my A3 - it's lasted a whisker under 100k miles!!

Not all bad news on the brakes prices either - I thought they would be horrendous. I was even wondering if it was time to change the car, if the brakes were going to cost a fortune.

Seems my son's honour (and various parts of his anatomy) might be safe after all!

Again, thank you!