Door Pods for A4 (B5)?

Nige P

Reaction score
I have a very nice set of SEAS Lotus 6.5" 2-way components from my last car that I just can't bare to retire them to the loft due to not fitting the A4.

Has anyone attempted fitting these before and succeeded?

I was wondering if it could be done by just removing the grill in the door and fabricating a pod which holds the speaker above this at an angle so the magnet sits just inside. I didn't really want to chop any more off the card as it will have to return to stock in the future when I sell. Although I have started contacting local breakers for cards and if successful then am happy to chop out more.

I know it would be alot easier to just fit 5.25" but I would have to pay apprx £100 for them and then stick the Lotus' in the loft!

Advice greatly appreciated

Really not worth fannying around TBH. At the end of the day any benefit with the better speaker will be well & truly overridden by the feeble flimsy door card, no matter how you manage to shoehorn them in there.
This would only be worthwhile if you have a custom door build, otherwise stick the speakers on ebay and buy some that will fit.

i agree

it will sound better than the stock speakers BUT that is not difficult
to get the full potential of those speakers they need good amplification and excellant mountings
you dont have to go to have full door pods as they will work very well off axis
but you will need to trim the door card at the back and then strengthen it for the speaker to be able to play properly

Thanks guys, you have just illustrated what is going on in my head!
Andy says it's not worth the hassle then dualmono21 says give it a go???!!!

dualmono21, are you saying that I don't need to make bolt on pods as they will fit in the card with some trimming & strengthening? I spose it doesn't matter if I butcher the back of the card so long as the front part stays stock. Then when it comes to selling I simply fit some cheapo 6.5"'s.

If this is possible then I reckon it is the best way to go, otherwise I would agree with Andy as full on Pods will be tricky for a novice like me.

What do you think Andy??

I don't see how you'd be able to keep the front of the door card standard. You have absolutely no room behind where the speaker sits, so you'd really need to customise the doorcard and bring the mounting out. Even if you fit 5.25" components you have to go for slim units 55mm depth max. No idea what depth your speakers are but they've got to be a lot deeper than that at 6.5". The other option is to lose the functionality of the front windows which will give you a lot more depth, but seems a bit extreme to me. How attached can you possibly be to these speakers?

ahh yes, the window, now I understand the constraints! So, back to Plan 'B' or was it 'C'?? New slimlines it is then, Rainbow you say?!

Yeh, I know I sound a bit sad but they were a little gift to myself a couple of years back and I don't feel I have had my monies worth out of them yet. I'm not convinced I will get anything exciting on ebay so think it may be better to wrap them up and save them for my next car. It's not as if they will degrade or anything.

there is a big differance between strengthning panels and adding mass and butchering panels to make speakers fit

its possible to fit the speakers without compromising the exterior of the door card
IT IS NOT EASY and its not a job i would reccomend unless you knew what you were doing BUT IT IS POSSIBLE
it all depends on how much you like those speakers
the key to good sound quality is good installation not the equipment itself

if you decide its simply not a job your willing to take on then also look at the focal range of slim fit speakers they are excellant also