1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door panel removal difficulty

Discussion in 'A5/S5/RS5 Forum' started by w00ll5, May 13, 2013.

1. w00ll5

w00ll5 New Member

[May 13, 2013]
    H all, newbie here.

i am trying to remove the door panel from my 08 A5 but cannot release the lower panel (the one with the window switch on) any advise as to how it comes off..

thanks,

lee
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[May 13, 2013]
    Hi Lee, welcome to audi-sport.net. Im sure one of the others be along soon to give you advice. Enjoy the forum. :) x
  4. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

[May 13, 2013]
    google search result.
    [TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]

[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]A5 trim/door panel removal

1. Remove decorative trim starting from end closest to door opening, pop the rest out being careful when you get nearest to the door opener as you then slide the trim sideways to avoid breaking holding tabs.

2. There are 3 torx (hexagonal) bolts sized T25 that need removal, one is behind the trim (which is why you need to remove it), other two are just beneath the door arm rest.

3. Remove the lock trim piece - this one was a bit of fun [​IMG], as you need to get this off to remove another torx bolt that secures the center of the door panel to the door.

4. Remove bolt from the bottom of the door

5. Using a tool (see 4b image) that resembles the claw end of a hammer, you leverage this between the door and each clip to pop it out from the door. I think I picked mine up at HomeDepot. Start from the bottom and move up, total of eight clips. Recommend that you have extra clips from an automotive shop or pick up extra from Audi, part 7L6 868 243, as sometimes the plastic clip breaks and can't be reused. Out of the 16 I removed, I needed to replace one. Take a look at the last image to see where the clips are situated. A good LED flashlight helps big time.[​IMG]

6. The moulded door panel sits neatly on a holding edge at the top of the inside door, just lift it up to separate from the door, be careful of the 3 connections which you will need to disengage....connection to the light (release the clip), connection cable for the door opener and the wiring harness that connects to the door control unit.

7. Once this is all carefully disconnected you can remove the door panel. Be careful to your car's bodywork - use protective cloth around your door opening...also suggest having something (like a box) that can support the inside door panel once it is separated from the door while you are attempting to disengage the three connections.

8. Remove the many screws from the inside of the door panel to release the arm rest to hopefully discover what's creating the irritating noise! (broken clip, fallen bolt...who knows!?). Have to say that the B8 model 5 build is quite clean and uncluttered compared to other makes/models, when looking at the door construction.

These are a few quick pointers...hope this helps, and as I did, you take this responsibility on yourself when tackling a DIY job. The best and easiest part is copying what the Audi manuals say...."installation is carried out in reverse order" [​IMG]

[TABLE="class: tborder, width: 100%, align: center"]

[TD="class: alt1, bgcolor: #FFFFFF"]Attached Thumbnails[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[/TD]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]