1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door mirror problem apparently not covered under Audi Approved Warranty?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by 3.2 Ju, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 3.2 Ju

3.2 Ju Well-Known Member

[Feb 9, 2012]
    During a recent VCDS scan, I found the passenger side door mirror heating element was not working, this was confirmed by a visual check as well. Normally I would of just bit the bullet and bought a new one, however being auto dimming, Audi wanted the equivalent of half a kidney for one or £170 in real money.
    I asked whether this would be covered under the Approved warranty scheme, they made the appropriate phone call and were told no.
    On page 6 of the warranty booklet it states

"All bodywork, glass including heated rear screens and seals" are NOT covered.

It doesn't specifically mention mirrors at all

Now I can understand the reason for the rear heated screen not to be covered as the elements are exposed and can be scratched, but surely a failed heating element in the mirror itself should be covered after all it's just another electrical component

I plan on ringing the warranty department direct but any advice would be appreciated
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. audigex

audigex Active Member

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Mirrors count as body work, so they've got you over a barrel by specifically excluding it. If you have enough of a rant you might get somewhere but I wouldn't bet on it.
  4. 3.2 Ju

3.2 Ju Well-Known Member

[Feb 10, 2012]
    I wouldn't class them as bodywork tbh, casings yes, but I get your point. As far as I see it they are an electrical component that can fail. I'm not expecting much joy though as basically it looks like the warranty is just an insurance policy with small print
  5. 3.2 Ju

3.2 Ju Well-Known Member

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Well it is now covered, apparently the dealer wasn't very clear on what needed replacing so they initially said no. However after my chat today and a consultation with an "engineer" they can now cover the part as long as it's not the wiring (which it isn't as iv'e checked it).
    If you want a job doing right, you have to do it yourself!!!
  6. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Result mate, well done :)
  7. 3.2 Ju

3.2 Ju Well-Known Member

[Feb 10, 2012]
    Yeah it is Paddy, didn't think they would buckle tbh, now what to spend the "saved" money on lol