1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Door mirror glass

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Buneet, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Buneet

Buneet Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    Hi guys, my driver side mirror glass has a crack in it and I was wondering whether it's possible to replace it at home easily or should I take it onto Audi? And does anyone know where I can get the glass itself? (it is the heated one)
    Also I have no idea how it cracked, I got in the car on a frosty morning and turned the heated mirrors on and next thing I knew there was a curved hairline crack at the bottom on it about two inches, I couldn't see under the crack under the frost before hand so I don't know whether it happened during the night (I part it on a very quiet wide road and the mirror was in the normal position in the morning so I doubt anyone hit it because the actual plastic around the mirror isn't damaged at all. Unless it happened as the mirror was heating up?

Thanks for your help guys
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. andywil13

andywil13 Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    If no damage to the plastic I'd try get Audi to replace foc
  4. Buneet

Buneet Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    Absolutely no damage to the mirror what so ever, I just found it really strange that the crack is even there and that it is curved, it does a full 90 degree bend!

I'm good friends with one of the guys who works there so I'll try get it sorted, do you think there is anything in particular that I should mention to them that may help me persuade them to do it free of charge?
  5. LukeTripod87

LukeTripod87 Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    I would find it hard to believe if they tried to charge you! Whenever someone comes in to buy one I just go outside and fit it for them. The glass tilts as far as it goes then it unclips, unplug the 2 heater wires, re-align the backing motor connect the wires onto the new glass then push the glass onto the motor backing and done! :) at most it takes 5 minutes
  6. karlabdool

karlabdool Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    Yea I had to remove mine already on my a3 very simple , just turn the mirror full left , and get your fingers as far in behind it . It helps if you have long thin fingers , and simply pull it out slowly. In your case it won't matter if you damage the old mirror . The new one - reconnect wires and snap in. Oh and use some thin gloves , like latex cause finger prints will get all over the glass and will take a few washings to get it out completely .
  7. Buneet

Buneet Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going in tomorrow. You've all reassured me! :)
  8. karlabdool

karlabdool Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    I got my mirror parts from stoke audi, they advertise on a forum on this site as well ask them their price
  9. Buneet

Buneet Active Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    I had a look on their site and couldn't find the part I was looking for, if Audi try to make me pay tomorrow I will contact them about the price, it seems easy enough to change the door mirror from what I read from other people, thanks for the suggestion :)
  10. karlabdool

karlabdool Member

[Feb 2, 2014]
    Yea just send stoke an email, they will quote you the price , very fast and helpful
  11. Buneet

Buneet Active Member

[Feb 4, 2014]
    Just wanted to say I've been in and they've booked me in to get a courtesy car sometime this month! Gonna sort the mirror, 1.4 turbo rattle and a clip in my seat all for free! Cheers guys
  12. LukeTripod87

LukeTripod87 Active Member

[Feb 5, 2014]
    Good stuff! :)
  13. andywil13

andywil13 Active Member

[Feb 5, 2014]
    does this turbo rattle only apply to the 1.4? if it effects other petrol engines can you post more details on how this problems shows etc

thanks
  14. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

[Feb 5, 2014]
    Only the 1.4 but all recent engines shouldn't have this issue...
  15. Buneet

Buneet Active Member

[Feb 5, 2014]
    From what it can see it only affects the 1.4 (122) version but for me it sounds like a slight rattle in the drivers side foot place I can hear it when the accelerator is pressed in about half way, I don't think it affects the performance in any way but it would be best to take a look at the other threads (just search turbo rattle) and you should have all your answers in more detail :)