1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

door blade issue on Allroad

monkeyboyuk Mar 15, 2011

1. monkeyboyuk

monkeyboyuk New Member

here's a wee pic of the 'tarnishing' that seems to be afflicting my 'chrome' door blades. think it's just salt corrosion from the roads, has had it pretty much since i got it, not really noticed it getting much worse however (it was a farmer that had it before me so maybe never kept it as clean as me!)

anyways, has anyone come across this before and successfully resolved it without replacing or respraying??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gavin0478

Gavin0478 Active Member Team Daytona Team V8 VCDS Map User quattro Audi Q7 TDi

alloy wheel cleaner?????

3. reggieroo

reggieroo Member

Our door blades where a little like that, I used autosol metal polish & it worked quite well.

4. monkeyboyuk

monkeyboyuk New Member

i'd tried some of that autosol type stuff on them and it never touched it :(, think the alloy wheel cleaner would be too harsh on it especially with it being as pitted as it is

5. Allroader

Allroader Audi 3.0 V6 TDIs every time

I had a similar pitting on the lead edges. The only thing that worked was fine wire wool and water, followed by a clear lacquer coat.
    Try it on the underside first.

6. reggieroo

reggieroo Member

You can definitely get them to come up nice with a little work, as allroader said you could fine wire wool them & lacquer.

That autosol didn't work for mine as well as I thought it would, but with some elbow grease & patience I got most of those spots off & it also gives some protection against further pitting etc.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  7. monkeyboyuk

monkeyboyuk New Member

fair does, i'll try again lol :D