1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont think the quattro system will help today

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by bluequattro, Nov 28, 2010.

1. bluequattro

bluequattro Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 28, 2010]
    Looks like some of us will be walking to work tomorrow
    Lol, and still no signs of mr plow ;)[​IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    that's because he's american and spells it "plow"

look, here he is now...

[​IMG]
  4. bluequattro

[Nov 28, 2010]
    Homers the man m8

Cal
  5. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Nov 28, 2010]
    You will be fine..thats just a shower.Take more than that to stop an Audi :)

I got to work in this last year

[​IMG]

Trouble was i was the only one to make it in so did myself out of a day off...lol
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  6. warren_S5

warren_S5 Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Nov 28, 2010]
    The only thing that stops you is when it digs into snow that is too deep for your front clearance.

I ran 19's all last winter and didn't suffer once (tyres were brand new, not worn like they are now).

If you drive based on the conditions yo'll be fine; it's the other muppets you want to watch out for!
  7. PaulAr

PaulAr S3 (8P)

[Nov 28, 2010]
    spot on, been astonished by some of the bad driving Ive seen these last couple of days.

Some nob heads just dont adjust their driving to suit the poor conditions, driving too close, driving too too fast, and pulling out in front of you at junctions...
    Mompadites.

Paul
  8. a6george

a6george Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    thats nowt, car will handle that fine, just take your time as quattro system helps you get going but it wont help you to stop, and abs is u/s in snow.
  9. Yaks

Yaks Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    My new winter tyres ( Continental TS810 S ) have been brilliant the last couple of days :)
  10. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Nov 28, 2010]
    Yea have to admit the sticking point for me was the firms carpark...I hit it at speed and the car went up on its floor plan and stopped...all four wheels off the ground. Turned into a sledge....lol. The snow piles up in front and eventually you drive up onto the pile :)
  11. One Spoke

One Spoke Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    That happened to me in February in the snow as well. Drove up to the in-laws house and their drive is up a slope. Was the first car to go up it (S3) and made it no problem. Went to reverse away and car was beached on the snow underneath! Moral of the story - don't stop lol

Agree with comment above, that whilst quattro gives you great traction, you still can't stop any better than the next person. Seriously considering winter tyres this year - anyone know what size you get for standard S3 alloys? (is it still 225/40 18s?)
  12. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Nov 28, 2010]
    Mine isn't moving. My drive is about 30 metres long and up a hill and my space on the drive means I park across the slope... so I can't even get it moving to get it down the drive not that I'd want to as chances are I'd slide from the top down to the bottom! I find the A3 is hopeless in snow.
  13. bluequattro

[Nov 28, 2010]
    Time to get the snow shovel working m8 ;) and dig your
    Car out.

Cal
  14. smudge_don

smudge_don Active Member

[Nov 29, 2010]
    No snow here :(
  15. Brett Butler

Brett Butler Member

[Nov 29, 2010]
    yeah quite annoyed, no snow here either, even after the weather report says snow for like 6 hours, grrrrr
  16. warren_S5

[Nov 29, 2010]
    None here either. Frost, but not an drizzle of sleet even on the horizon
  17. Hightower

Hightower Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Too true, reminds me of a few years ago where I had been upto Scotland doing some skiing, all in all I did almost 1800 miles of driving in snow without a problem, got within 100 metres of home and some prick driving towards me loses control as he tries to accelerate and crashed into me, I wasn't best pleased.

As above it doesn't matter how great a driver you are it's the other dicks you have to worry about
  18. Ash187

Ash187 Audi-Retrofits.co.uk Site Sponsor

[Nov 30, 2010]
    I just tried driving the car for the first time since i have had it in the snow and to be honest its pretty useless... skids around quite a bit! but i dont have the Quattro. Woudl winter tires help me out anymore?
  19. Matt

Matt Active Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    I'm sure it would be nice to have Quattro in terms of getting you moving but it doesn't stop you any better! Thats the main problem in snow and ice!

Drove to work in mine today, just took it steady, kept my distance from people. The slush had turned to ice on the B road to my house so it was pretty lethal. Some people seem to think they can just drive at normal speeds though?!
  20. Brett Butler

Brett Butler Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Winter tyres would help a great deal, but chances of you getting any now are pretty remote, massive shortage now

I read that some insurance premiums go up if you fit winter tyres, WHY would anyone phone up the insurance so ask anyhow?????? good old Rip off Britian
  21. Brett Butler

Brett Butler Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Matt having a quattro would help you stop better in most conditions, well maybe all conditions, not sure how much, but it would help a little as you have 2 wheels at anyone time trying to grip instead of 1, but Tyres are by far the most important.
  22. Ash187

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Insurance go up to if you fit winter tyres?? wtf i would think its better isnt it? i mean you are being more safe
  23. warren_S5

[Nov 30, 2010]
    'Modification' is deemed to mean any movement from OEM spec, so robbers (e.g Insurance companies) don't miss an opportunity to scam some more cash from those WHO WILL PAY as it is a ripe low hanging fruit that is too sweet to miss out on.

Ironically some can drive a stolen, uninsured car without an MoT with bald tyres in winter and receive very little repercussion if they're caught! We try and do something honorable and prudent and the insurers prepare another space at the milking station ready to hook up the cash cow!
  24. alijames

alijames Active Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Not necessarily. Having the winter tyres might encourage people to go out in worse conditions than if you did not have the winter tyres. Also IIRC, more accidents in snowy weather end up 50/50 liability than at other times.

Cheers,
  25. Ash187

[Nov 30, 2010]
    but it seems like its penalising people who think to take care of themselves... i mean most people dont bother hence car crashes!
  26. alijames

alijames Active Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    I agree. But putting a big brake kit on a car will invariably up the insurance even though, in theory, it means you are probably less likely to go up the back of someone. The insurance bods, I presume, will decide you will be late braking all the time...

Insurance is a business not a service, so they will try to up your premium when they can.

Cheers,
  27. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    Except they KNOW that we need car insurance, and they think it gives them a license to rip us off. How would you feel if you walked into a store and were about to buy a TV, but at the last minute you mention to the salesperson that you have Sky and you're then told you need to pay £200 extra for a different model?

Or that you have to pay more because you're younger when it's completely arbitrary? I'm 23 a d I've never been at fault in an accident (been rear ended at a round about, and some numpty pulled into my lane when we saw me and I didn't have time to stop).

Yet i'm young and male and therefore it's ASSUMED I'm unsafe when I've never gotten close to causing an accident.

Insurance is a rip off. There's no defending them, they're scum.
  28. jungleman

jungleman Well-Known Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    too true!!
  29. boggysv

boggysv Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    I used to feel that way, until the day some really old (and worthless) car hit me from the back and the insurance is paying in full for all my parts to be replaced (not repaired). Even a slightly dented rear hatch. The total repair bill was nearly 2X the market value of his car.

For what it's worth, sometimes insurance can be a pain in the buttocks as well as I recently got into another accident where a drunk driver got into my lane while negotiating a blind bend, I swerved and skidded off the road. But the unfortunate part is that I DID NOT hit the guy. Which from the police's report or insurance's point of view is that I drove out of the road on my own.

They should be covering the loss for that as well, but my no-claims bonus is gone.

Still, at least with these two cases behind me, I dont actually feel that bad paying the insurance premiums.
  30. sub39h

sub39h Active Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    How did you know he was drunk? Purely out of interest...

Glad you were ok btw.
  31. boggysv

boggysv Member

[Nov 30, 2010]
    He stopped. Guess you really have to be an arse of major proportions to run away from the scene of such an accident.

Maybe drunk was not the right word. Intoxicated / high / dizzy might be the better description. I'm not too sure if it was the shock from the event or maybe he was really under the influence of alcohol, but he was mumbling a lot, and speech was incoherent. And he smelled of cheap beer and fags...I know that smell well...bar smell.

Naturally, his police report the next day was a different version from mine. Unfortunately, over here in this part of the world, the police need not show up at the scene of an accident if it isnt serious (i.e. major injury or death)

Yep, quite happy to come out of that all right, slightly bruised arm and aching body, but overall I came out quite good compared to the car. Guess all the extra weight of airbags and safety structure really do pay dividends on a road going vehicle.