1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dont get it...

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by ALPINE, Jul 29, 2008.

1. ALPINE

ALPINE Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

[Jul 29, 2008]
    ok i have today bought a brand new temp sensor as since i have owned the car the temp alwats reads max 70c. it will read 90 when i turn the car off and turn the ignition back on.

fitting a new sensor i thought this would sort it. quite obviously not. So its either my wireing on the car (which i have checked and it all looks good) or..???????

im confused.

secondly i noticed that there is another sensor next to the 1 i just replaced. what is this 1 called and could this the at fault?? i replaced the sensor on the left of the 2. i replaced it with a dark green sensor as recomended by the shop.

any help please as were driving this car on holiday next month and i would like to get there and back with no dramas.

thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 24, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jul 29, 2008]
    my car did this when i bought it and it was the thermostat that was shot.

If you left it sitting at idle after warming it up it would climb up to 90 eventually but while on the move it stayed around 60-70.

But then if it climbs to 90 immediately after flicking the ignition off and on then i presume theres a fault somewhere. Afaik the sensor on the back of the head feeds the ECU and the dashboard takes its readings from the ECU. i'm not really sure why there is a second sensor there though, i dont remember seeing two on mine.
  4. AUDI TURBO

AUDI TURBO Member

[Jul 29, 2008]
    SIMLAR PROB ON MINE. ive replaced temp sender and thermostat and still my gauge runs wild
  5. ALPINE

[Jul 29, 2008]
    ok.. i just bought the 2 pin`ed sensor next to the 4 pin 1 i just replaced.

2 brand spankin new sensors and it still dont read properly. gotta be my thermostat i think. where are they and are they a bastid to replace. done 1 on a mondeo once and it was a head ache.

cheers
  6. Lee Goodall

Lee Goodall ..got my head together!

[Jul 29, 2008]
    Thermostat is just behind the water pump looking up from under the engine and it's in a black plastic housing with two (10mm I think) bolts holding it on. It's a bit of a b!tch to get at but can be done in 30 mins or so.. obviously you'll need to drain the coolant first.

You'll need a new ring seal too.
  7. Z82

Z82 Member

[Jul 29, 2008]

Sounds painful :undwech:
  8. auroan

auroan Active Member

[Jul 29, 2008]
    I had the same issue on my V6. Believe me your thermostat is a doddle to change compared to mine.
  9. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 29, 2008]
    You'll know if its the thermostat as if its stuck open then it will reach 90 eventually when idling for 10 minutes. If it still sits at 70 then it can't be the stat.
    What does the temp read on the climate control?
  10. ALPINE

[Jul 29, 2008]
    theres nothing else it can be but the thermostat. every thing else has been replaced! find out 2morrow as the thermostat is being changed..
  11. AndyMac

[Jul 29, 2008]
    But it could actually be a faulty temp guage, long shot I know, but worth checking it against the digital reading on the CC
  12. ALPINE

[Jul 30, 2008]
    vag com`ed it, tis all good!
  13. AndyMac

[Jul 30, 2008]
    Well as you say then it's the only thing left, and luckily a relatively easy job. They had to take the whole front end off my 2.8 to do it.
  14. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jul 30, 2008]
    i didnt buy a new seal for mine and trying to balance the stat and seal on the housing and get it all back up against the waterpump housing without it moving was a bugger. Might be easier with a new seal though as i'd imagine you could push the assembly into the waterpump housing and it would stay there while you get the stat housing into place.
  15. Mazza

Mazza MOnkEy

[Jul 30, 2008]
    has it worked ??????mine has the exact same problem...done the sensor but no joy!!!
  16. ALPINE

[Jul 30, 2008]
    sorry.. could not get the car done today. (poxy work) i have been assured by many qualified people that the thermostat will be at fault. hope that helps Mazza.