DONT ever fit LED side lights!!!!!!!!

khalil

Reaction score
ok a word of warning to those who might like to fit LED side lights, i fitted them today and got to say they looked so so good, and the brightnest of them was just amazing, well to get them working you have to fit a RESISTOR, which i did, but before that i always like to do my research and i found out from people on other forums that the RESISTOR gets HOT, so after fitting them i went foor i little drive for around 20 min with the side lights on just to check if everythings ok, so when i got back home opened the bonnent and thought let me touch the RESISTOR to see how hot it is lol, and flipping hell it was HOT! and when i mean HOT i mean HOT like a flipping soldering iron, so i burned my fingers lol, and on top of that the caseing of the headlight got melted a little, so warning to those who want to fit them, DONT!!!!

As long as you're careful with where you mount the resistor (basically just make sure it's on something made of metal) there shouldn't be a problem. I've a couple of resistors installed for my LED DRLs and yes they do get very hot, but no problems so far and I've done around 20,000 miles with them.

really where have you mounted them, i had them in the headlight casing but as you know there is very little space in them

As suggested mount them externally of the lightsin the engine bay and that allows some ventilation. Also mount them to a metal surface which acts a heat sink and takes the heat away from the resistor body a lot quicker than air will.

PIAA do a specific kit to run on the MK5 golfs includes a resistor pack and the leds.. IIRC its around 70quid..

As long as you're careful with where you mount the resistor (basically just make sure it's on something made of metal) there shouldn't be a problem. I've a couple of resistors installed for my LED DRLs and yes they do get very hot, but no problems so far and I've done around 20,000 miles with them.

hey mitch, u got a thread or image of your drl install fella, just intrigued to see working, thanks.

N