1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DONT ever fit LED side lights!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by khalil, Jul 18, 2008.

1. khalil

khalil Member

[Jul 18, 2008]
    ok a word of warning to those who might like to fit LED side lights, i fitted them today and got to say they looked so so good, and the brightnest of them was just amazing, well to get them working you have to fit a RESISTOR, which i did, but before that i always like to do my research and i found out from people on other forums that the RESISTOR gets HOT, so after fitting them i went foor i little drive for around 20 min with the side lights on just to check if everythings ok, so when i got back home opened the bonnent and thought let me touch the RESISTOR to see how hot it is lol, and flipping hell it was HOT! and when i mean HOT i mean HOT like a flipping soldering iron, so i burned my fingers lol, and on top of that the caseing of the headlight got melted a little, so warning to those who want to fit them, DONT!!!!
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. mitch78

mitch78 Active Member

[Jul 18, 2008]
    :thumbsup:
  4. khalil

khalil Member

[Jul 18, 2008]
    really where have you mounted them, i had them in the headlight casing but as you know there is very little space in them
  5. s8craig

s8craig Active Member VCDS Map User

[Jul 18, 2008]
    As suggested mount them externally of the lightsin the engine bay and that allows some ventilation. Also mount them to a metal surface which acts a heat sink and takes the heat away from the resistor body a lot quicker than air will.
  6. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

[Jul 19, 2008]
    PIAA do a specific kit to run on the MK5 golfs includes a resistor pack and the leds.. IIRC its around 70quid..
  7. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jul 19, 2008]
    hey mitch, u got a thread or image of your drl install fella, just intrigued to see working, thanks.

N