1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't condemn me.......,but........

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Platinum70, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

Had the A4 for a year now. I do around 32,000 per year and get quickly bored of cars. Have a wish list as long as your arm, but with high mileage and fuel costs I think this rules out an obvious purchase of something like an S4. I would take a big hit on depreciation.

Therefore need a cheaper 'throw-away' alternative.

Choice between a used R32 or perhaps the Megane Trophy 225. Both got excellent reviews in Evo.

What is the general opinion!!?
  2. GSCollie

GSCollie Member

You'd never live with the plastics, ride or ergonomics of a 225 trophy and an R32.... well its OK but why not an S3??
  3. imported_bubstar

imported_bubstar Guest

I really don't think the build is that bad in late Renaults.....

It's like anything in life treat it right and it'll last.

I say have a look at the Megane. The Trophy is a great looking car too and only 500 being made worldwide means you won't see many more.

BUB
  4. kenny_boon

kenny_boon Member

R32 has hefty fuel bills to so watch out for that, i would stick with what youve got tbh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  5. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

I must say when I drove an R32 for the first time it didn't feel that quick (a lot slower than my Leon R and a fair bit on the A4 - both post mod's of course), and it make some horrendous rattling noises.

Then I had AMD's R32 for three weeks while they had my car. It had 300bhp and just about every mod they do added and it was superb fun. Cornering speeds were amazing!!

As for the Megane I am only going on reviews and a company near Bournemouth do quite a few mod's to it for not a lot of cash. Re-map, intercooler, exhaust, dump valve and air filter replacement for £1400 all in. Takes power to around 275-280bhp.
    But it is a Renault and that might be hard after an Audi.
  6. GSCollie

GSCollie Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I really don't think the build is that bad in late Renaults.....

It's like anything in life treat it right and it'll last.

I say have a look at the Megane. The Trophy is a great looking car too and only 500 being made worldwide means you won't see many more.

BUB

[/ QUOTE ]

It's that taste thing again isn't it??

Friend has just got rid of his Megane 225 company car, had a golf before it and said Megane was OK but build and material quality just wasn't the same. I know someone with an R32 and has taken delivery of his new Golf GTi (nice, almost tempted) and the GTi is more fun and almost as quick in a straight line as his R32, scary!

Like you said exclusivity with the number they are building, but a couple of thoughts come to mind for a more disposable car.

How about a Civic Type R or a B5 S4, both fairly cheap nowadays and good performance too.
  7. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

I really want something quite new and the Civic is a bit too thrashy for me.
  8. GSCollie

GSCollie Member

Sorry, I think I understand what you are after now.

I'm trying to get the wife to go for a Fabia vRS but that's perhaps a little too small for you is it? I suppose you could go for a mad 147 GTA!

The vRS would hold its value as they are like gold dust and the GTA loses heaps in depreciation as soon it leaves the showroom I am led to believe and then levels out, so is a perhaps a good used buy.
  9. kenny_boon

kenny_boon Member

my Girlfriend has a Fabia vRS, feels quick, tbh quicker than it actually is, build quality is good but as you would expect a fair bit behind audi, good car for the money tho
  10. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

Go for the R32, a very special and well built car, excellent handling and brakes, just watch the poor fuel consumption. Mine averaged 17 though.

Nice write up in Evo magazine from a few years ago...

The Decider.
  11. dummi

dummi smoking a6

what about the new golf 1.4 GT super-turbocharged in soupies thread? good mpg for the miles, quicker response than the stock turbo'd motors cos of the supercharger, and 170hp, 7000rpm before redline thats all standard, i'd be seriously looking at that with fuel prices, its only a matter of time that turbos get bigger, don't know when its due though..
  12. The911SC

The911SC Active Member

If you get an R32, dont pay too much for it; 18K ish...
    My advice if you want something rapid, small and nippy with ocasional access to the rear seats is the A3 3.2V6 quattro S line. Its on the new floorpan unlike the r32 and is a bit more powerful and a better car all round IMO...

19K gets you a nice one..
  13. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Still unsure what to do really.
  14. domcj

domcj Member

I sold my R32 and bought a A4 due to miles and fuel, the R32 is a great all round car, i loved it to bits and doing a average of 23.9 mpg over 500 per week. Not bad for a engine that size

The are build well, they turn heads and the handling is superb.
  15. GSCollie

GSCollie Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the advice guys. Still unsure what to do really.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like Audi's and build quality try an S3, as good as an R32 and no surprises. Also, if you get a little bored plenty to mod on it to give it a little more punch. I only changed from my S3 because really I wanted a V8 and four door practicality.
  16. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

I am supposed to have a four door car for work. I get a car allowance, but I have nothing in writing to say 4 doors. The R32 would comply with this as would a 5 door A3. Obviously Megane Trophy and S3 would not.

I really like the A4 I've got. It looks good and goes well, just needs a bit more. Also with the potential mileage I would really have to change it next year anyway. I have found the build quality so good on the Audi and my girlfriends A4 cab has also been trouble free.

I bought the A4 with the intention of keeping it for 3 years but I think I need to understand why I want to change it and what I really want.
  17. Soupie69uk

Soupie69uk Owner

Just buy a new Clio Trophy and get an older TDI A4 for work.

The new Trophy Clio is supposed to be awesome!!!

It’s in this months Evo and they say it’s the best hot hatch ever.

Only 525 made as well so should hold its value alright like the Williams. Hopefully!!

It has some sachs shocks worth 10x more than the cup ones and have separate oil reservoirs etc.

[​IMG]

Here is a video on the this page - HERE
  18. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

get a R32 and fit a T4 turbo 5psi of boost will give around 378bhp and 360 lb/ft, then when you are bored with it fit the stage 2 at over 400bhp then stage 3 over 500bhp , i don't think you will be saying your bored with that!!
  19. Platinum70

Platinum70 Member

I couldn't drive a clio not matter how good. i read the article and it sounds good but too small for me.

I like the sound of the R32 peteTDI mentions. I certainly wouldn't get bored of that but I must be looking at serious money for such mod's!
  20. peteA3tdi

peteA3tdi Member

have a look at
    http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/index.html
    they are good kits, paul at work has just got the stage 2 for his VR6 and with a big valve head and cams it will be one fun car and with the exchange rate it was far cheaper as well