dog bone bush best one ?

Obviously I just said it was stiffer for fun...:blink:

Yes

No... diesel engine inherently vibrate more so they have softer mounts to soak vibrations... the red one is a stiffer 'soft' mount
Ok thank you.

Using the power of google (you should try it some time... its liberating)
Trust me: I use it, but in italian there si no very much info instead in english, but I need very much time to translate it, because I'm very poor so I need dictionary always, but many times I don't have time enough to do it. In addition, if a Powerflex seller (italian) tal about different things, in a language that I understand istantly, I get o doubt, I know you understand this. Anyway, I trust very much more in Forum then in he, and I'm very sorry about my handreds questions as usually.

Thank you as always. I need stop engine/gearbox to solve 3rd gear crunch problem (on high revs) only, if yellow one is correct version I'll get that as soon as I can. If you think I need black, I'll get black one. In Italy anyone know about this solutions, and all are saying to me "you'll solve nothing, your car problem is a synchronizer broken sure, so you'll waste money only, don't care internet informations, etc.": I would demonstrate that's wrong and you all are very competent (instead them).

PS:

Just I'll have car disassemble, if you think any other Powerflex should be useful, I'll get it aswell. For example, realeasing clutch fast something vibrates and I can feel that vibration on clutch pedal (steering box support maybe?).

Thank you.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
tbh not sure if this will or won't fix your issues as it can be related to engine mounts but its also known for the syncros to go too... the other thing it could also be is a selector fork issue thats common on 02M gearboxes

The engine mounts are very floppy on 1.8t's... especially the gearbox mount... changing them for new ones can make things loads better... as I see you have also posted in the DIY engine mount thread I would suggest you look into vibra-technics mounts or tbh just some new ones if you don't feel you can get away with it in your country...

Yellow bush will add more vibration initially but it dies down a bit... there will be a lot more vibration with uprated engine mounts too

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Roadtrain
tbh not sure if this will or won't fix your issues as it can be related to engine mounts but its also known for the syncros to go too...
Ok thank you. I'm quite certain about problem is caused by engine/gearbox torsion, because if I wait a bit before put 3rd gear on high revs, it doesn't crunch (I did it on 4000/4500 RPM, so I believe a broken synch can't works good sure). But I understand these many crunches during times can't do good things sure (I would put an oil gearbox additive too, as "Ceramic Gearbox"). In addition I'm very willing about change engine mounts and all others are necessary, moreover change short shifter, cables and gearbox lever (whit a shorter one) aswell.

the other thing it could also be is a selector fork issue thats common on 02M gearboxes
When you talk about "selektor fork" do you intend the "dieselgeek" short shifter or somethingelse?

The engine mounts are very floppy on 1.8t's... especially the gearbox mount... changing them for new ones can make things loads better... as I see you have also posted in the DIY engine mount thread I would suggest you look into vibra-technics mounts or tbh just some new ones if you don't feel you can get away with it in your country...
Ok thank you. I find this one right now:

http://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/audi/a3_8l_96_03

Yellow bush will add more vibration initially but it dies down a bit... there will be a lot more vibration with uprated engine mounts too
No problem about vibrations, I need put 3rd gear fast ony whithout crunch only (everytime it's a stubbing in the hearth for me), but thank you aswell about your concern.

<tuffty/>

When I ridden "floppy", I searched it on dictionary, because I knew old floppy disc only as "floppy", but I didn't find other different translation:

http://www.wordreference.com/iten/floppy

so then I searched it as "floppy urban dictionary", and I got this result:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=floppy

so now I know what "floppy" should means aswell :D :D :D

Has anyone here fitted the R32 oem dog bone mounting? Any good?

I will be suprised if a yellow polybush dog bone upgrade will resolve your 3rd gear crunch. Just change smoother or get a new clutch, some people take apart their gear boxes and gaz recommends ceramic oil or whatever.
The dog bone does stop the engine knocking the 3 inch downpipe, I changed gear oil too. But simply grew out of changing gear frantically to fix the crunch.

I will be suprised if a yellow upgrade will resolve your 3rd gear crunch.
Black one should be better choice in your opinion?

Just change smoother or get a new clutch, some people take apart their gear boxes and gaz recommends ceramic oil or whatever.
A smoother one instead a firmer one? Why? And about ,y clutch, it works perfectly, it doesn't cause problem anytime, and I think if its fault it must make issues whith other gears aswell (my opinion only).

I'm quite sure is a torsion problem exclusively, so I think I need choose correct new pieces only. I think I need new number 8 sure, but 10 aswell maybe? And should be the two 24 involved aswell (I don't understand what are these two exatly)?

resize_image.php

PS:

What "gaz" means? Sorry.

The dog bone does stop the engine knocking the 3 inch downpipe
I don't undestand sorry.

I changed gear oil too. But simply grew out of changing gear frantically to fix the crunch.
So did you changed oil but it doesn't do nothing? Or did you change oil and dog bone too, but crunch changing gear frantically persists?

PS:

Did you put an additive for gearbox too? If yes, what one? Thank you.

Last edited:
your problem is a 2nd to 3rd crunch.

I don't reckon an OEM, red, yellow or black dog bone will resolve the issue.

2. people fit a yellow dog bone powerflex upgrade because pipewerks etc say - "you have to fit a poly bush dog bone upgrade when you fit a 3 inch downpipe otherwise it will knock on the transmission tunnel"

3. I have learnt to be cautious when changing between 2 and 3 in the gear box and I don't get a crunch but... I did replace gear oil and dog bone mount - other people have gone as far as changing the gear box synchromesh - although they also change the clutch and some people reckon just changing the clutch would have resolved it. <-- my clutch biting point is quite low.

I am not an expert by any imagination just repeating what I have done and what I have read on this forum. every morning my gear changes are notchy until the engine is warm.

Ok thank you.

When you replace gear oil did you use an additive aswell? For exmple like this?

Additivo_CERAMIC_4a4e1f3554864-500x500.jpg

About dog bone mount, did you put numeber 8 only, or number 10 too? And numbers 24 (two pieces) aswell (I don't know if them are involeved with engine or not).

Thank you.

I don't have a fancy downpipe but fitted a dogbone bush (red, number 8) and would recommend it. The shift was cleaned up nicely, much less movement going on. Can't speak for whether it will solve your problem.

Didn't fit a number 10 but intend to do so at a convenient time.

Think number 24 are subframe bushes.

I don't have a fancy downpipe but fitted a dogbone bush (red, number 8) and would recommend it. The shift was cleaned up nicely, much less movement going on. Can't speak for whether it will solve your problem.
Ok thank you. Do you have diesel engine (because red it's for diesel) or did you choose it because yellow one is firmer then red one?

Didn't fit a number 10 but intend to do so at a convenient time.
Is it easy interchangeable as number 8 as? Or does it need press machine?

Think number 24 are subframe bushes.
That means them don't have relations whith engine/gearbox support?

PS:

This one is made by Meyle (code: 100 199 0045), do you know if is it good? I had this brand for other parts and I was always enthusiast litterally.

fs_103166.jpg

I didn't fit a number 10 - you need a press to get the old bush out, and getting that bush too is only a little bit off buying an 034 dog bone mount.

I tried a screwdriver and couldn't even get the arm off the main dog bone so gave up - as you know Karl I tend to break more than I fix - so have learnt to be cautious. I did order an ECS mount, but I reckon they realised they were undercharging for it so it mysteriously got lost I the post somehow.

Ok thank you. Do you have diesel engine (because red it's for diesel) or did you choose it because yellow one is firmer then red one?

Petrol, but I didn't want to risk introducing vibration. I don't want my car to be too harsh :)

I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge to answer your other questions :(

I didn't fit a number 10 - you need a press to get the old bush out, and getting that bush too is only a little bit off buying an 034 dog bone mount.
Don't need a press
Thank you both, but what I'll need to change number 10 exatly? Thank you.

Petrol, but I didn't want to risk introducing vibration. I don't want my car to be too harsh :)
Ok thank you, and I understand your worry, I'm a bit afraid about vibrations aswell, but I'm very much more about will not solve 2nd-->3rd crunch changing gearr fast, so I think yellow one is more indicated then red one (my theory only).

PS:

What petrol? APY/BMK/BAM?

I'm afraid I don't have the knowledge to answer your other questions :(
Thank you a lot anyway, you're very much gently as you all as.

Why do you keep posting this everywhere!?
You've read the threads regards to engine mounts. And members have posted their thoughts on synchros.
I put this link here only because it's about 2nd-->3rd gear crunch's appropriated thread, so with no spam intent, sorry anyway. If you think it's better continue in this threads I'll do sure.

I will be suprised if a yellow polybush dog bone upgrade will resolve your 3rd gear crunch. Just change smoother or get a new clutch, some people take apart their gear boxes and gaz recommends ceramic oil or whatever.
The dog bone does stop the engine knocking the 3 inch downpipe, I changed gear oil too. But simply grew out of changing gear frantically to fix the crunch.
After your post about relation between clutch and 2nd-->3rd gear crunch on high RPM you made a big doubt to me (thank you!), so I did some tries: when I do double clutch problem doesn't come!!! What does mean this? New clutch'll solve problem? Thank you a lot.

Last edited:
Every little bit helps I expect. I read a thread on here where someone spent a lot of time and money with gearbox internals changes synchromesh etc and also a new clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder which resolved their problem, and another reply said they fixed with simply a new clutch. But I can see that if your engine is wobbly then it will also be an issue.

I agreed. Today I tested my OEM dog bone bush, and it seems very movable, but It can't to be related to double cluthing in my opinion.