Dog advice

voorhees

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm after a sausage dog...well the kids want one and I think the responsibility will help in the long run,anyone have any advice on where to buy and how to look after them ?

do your research on the dog 1st
then look for a good breeder
then a good vet
microchip etc

we have just got a Golden Retriever picked her up at 7weeks old now at 15 week

images

;)

As said source from a good breeder, vaccinations, kennel club card. I'd also check on the web to see what they'r like with kids. Dogs are a great way to teach responsibility, even my 2yr old does his bit.

sausage dogs, labradoodles etc etc are all great fun sounding dogs that kids like mate but, in my experience, get a good family dog! a labrador or spaniel are ideal where kids are involved!
i have a springer spaniel, and he is possibly the best dog ever!
we also have a baby girl of about 17 months and the abuse she subjects him to (in a rough baby way) is unreal, and he never bats an eyelid mate! she pulls his ears, sits on him, pulls his tail etc and he just takes it and submits!
also they are really intelligent and take no training at all! i never take a leader with me as he does not need it!
we also have a 12 year old daughter, and he does whatever she tells him too!, seriously though i would consider a spaniel! and they are uber cute as pups!

Once you picked the dog you want, check out rescue centres.
There are so many looking for homes.
You're saving your self a wad of cash and doing a dog a favour at the same time.

Good luck.

Just make sure you see both parents and that they are good natured. We had German Shephards when I was a child, loved them to bits but the last one, bless him had rickets, broken tail, eye problems, oh the list went on and we knew we should have stayed away but we didnt but he turned out to be one of the best dogs we ever had. Since being married we have had boxers, brilliant with the kids, so good natured but maybe a bit bouncy for some. We got all ours from rescue centres and although breeders are good, it does feel good to save some from the centres. But f you do go, be warned, the kids will want them all!

Good luck Jase choosing, we are desperate for another but cant at the mo but make sure you put some pics up when you get him or her.

Forgot to mention that. Deffo have a look at the rescue centre first... doubt you'll pick up a sausage dog as they'r not so common. our first lab Wilson was from the Labrador rescue centre and is an amazing dog, the second Baxter, well we got from a breeder, fantastic dog but mad as a bag of frogs. His nick name is Bin Laden... total terrorist!
But yeh as Sarah said take the kids at your own risk haha