1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does your S3 oversteer when pushed hard round corners?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Andrew@A.L.D, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D May add NOS to 600+bhp?

[Jul 19, 2009]
    When out today in the S3 today and found some nice twisty's roads, seeing as i've only had the car for 3 weeks and never pushed it hard in the corners i thought i would give it a go.

Well i found out it oversteered witch is very fun but is this normal for a S3?
  2. j4jon

j4jon Member

[Jul 20, 2009]
    No completely the opposite! Standard S3's will understeer when pushed hence why people spend a large chunk of cash changing all the suspension, ARBs and having the geometry done.

Is you car standard or has it been modified in any way?
  3. Andrew@A.L.D

Andrew@A.L.D May add NOS to 600+bhp?

[Jul 20, 2009]
    I think its been lowered a little, its running RSTT 18's and thats about it?

No understeer at all in mine but when pushed hard it will go into oversteer
  4. S3 HODGE

S3 HODGE Brown passenger seat.

[Jul 20, 2009]
    Mines standard in the way of handleing and depending on what the corner/road surface is like i sometimes feel the back wanting to come out but mainly understeer :ermm:.
  5. Keeno

Keeno Spooly Spooly Boosty Boosty!

[Jul 20, 2009]
    Some sort of crazy-ass Haldex phenom causing lots of power to the rear? :unsure:
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  6. au_sjo

au_sjo Member

[Jul 20, 2009]
    My old standard S3 used to understeer badly on the edge.
  7. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Jul 20, 2009]
    Having had an S3 with worn suspension, new Audi suspension and Bilstein B8s / H&R springs (and uprated ARBs) here's my current thoughts.

On all suspension, carry too much speed into corner and you will understeer (pretty obvious)

With stock suspension when not totally knackered on big roundabouts it was possible to get power oversteer however it needed serious abuse of second gear, slowish in and then hard on the power.

With the current suspension and decent geo it does the above but is if anything harder to get to slide as it has more grip overall however when it does slide it's if anything more progressive and controlable on and past the limit, I also had my car remapped at the same time so it's better even with more power.

The thing that surprises me now is that the car appears to be more prone to a full on 4 wheel drift rather than just the back coming round as it would have done before on the stock suspension but like I said I think that's because it's got more grip and it's actually better balanced.

I also found tyre pressure and geo made a massive difference when really on the limit, especially on a smooth track.

Just my 2p after doing something like 120,000miles in one...
  8. MintyS3

MintyS3 Works 60% the time, Everytime.

[Jul 20, 2009]
    Lift off oversteer? Thats the only time I can get it to oversteer with standard suspension.
  9. Lacey123

Lacey123 Audi S3

[Jul 20, 2009]
    Mine oversteers if chucked in hard at a corner its on coilvers and thats it.
  10. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

[Jul 20, 2009]
    Lift off oversteer is about all you'll get unless your rear tyres are knackered. I've had power understeer/drifting and mid-corner skipping, but never, even with an uprated Haldex and a big turbo, had proper oversteer.
  11. bantam1

bantam1 Member

[Jul 20, 2009]
    If I postion my hands at twenty past six on the steering wheel i can get understeer!

Very bored at work today.
  12. Gareth_RS3

Gareth_RS3 Member

[Jul 20, 2009]
    Never had proper oversteer, lift off maybe but that was it,

Maybe more likely with uprated arbs and anti roll bars coilovers uprated haldex etc but still think its unlikely not saying it didnt happen just my 2p
  13. s3_kev

s3_kev Stage2'd!!!!!!

[Jul 20, 2009]
    possibly due to the fact your lowered but with no geo setup so the wheels are cambering more so the gain less grip in the corners, also do you have rubbish or worn tyres on the back as when i had rubbish tyres in the wet it used to oversteer loads and was great fun,
    mine power oversteers still due to my setup, great fun
  14. ianysm

ianysm Active Member

[Jul 20, 2009]
    Mine 4-wheel-drifts out of roundabouts (remapped), but never had oversteer (unless lifting off or left foot braking too hard!)
  15. Dennis Moeller

Dennis Moeller Member

[Jul 21, 2009]
    Excactly my experience too...Mine's now very balanced on the edge and I can get in to some "serious" 4 wheels drifting...Otherwise very good grip and a very neutral behaviour. I have worn tires tho and have only gotten into a drift on a track...Did this track a while ago with a nice second-fourth gear pace...drifted from side to side but the car was very controllable and it really all came down to the tires and the lack of grip...On the road I haven't been able to get the wheels to slip yet...only if the tarmac is wet...But that is some what scary due to traffic and all...

Upgrading the suspension and setting the geometry right totally changes the car...well worth the $$$
  16. mephisto

mephisto Member

[Jul 21, 2009]
    Interesting thread, whilst shadowing an eratic rookie M3 driver the other week into a roundabout i actually found the rear of my S3 going, but that was combination of lift/braking heavy into roundabout, the entry to the roundabout curved left as i was still braking hard.
    So swinging one way to the other whilst applying heavy braking/lift off should/may invoke oversteer.

However... My S3 happily oversteers in wet, but that's because im currently running some shoddy Avons on the rear and new GoodYear F1's on the front, which i do enjoy :)

I gather you've checked the obvious like rear tyre pressures, stock suspension or adjustables etc.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009