Does This Need New Brake Discs??? I Cant Decide

superkarl

MAN OF STEEL
Reaction score

A family friend took his car to my dad saying that the brakes are crap and making a lot of noise. 3months prior he had tried to remedy this with brake pads which were now down and beyond the backing plate.
Begs a lot of questions.
Enjoy

Reactions: s3 Hoggy and CHEZ
Are you saying that disc was on a car ???. And somebody just tried replacing the brake pads. Thats incredible how many miles had the car done they must be the original discs on a 200K mile car to get any where near that worn.
Possibly the caliper had been sticking and the pads had been left to go down to the metal for a good while.

Whoa!!!!

Did he replace the pads himself, does he know what he is doing??

Still a hundred miles left on em

Reactions: superkarl
Are you saying that disc was on a car ???. And somebody just tried replacing the brake pads. Thats incredible how many miles had the car done they must be the original discs on a 200K mile car to get any where near that worn.
Possibly the caliper had been sticking and the pads had been left to go down to the metal for a good while.
its an 06 focus, so id guess not original discs, Once pads are worn the backing plate will destroy the disc, and by then it has a disc probably half the thickness required and the sliders will be maxed.

Whoa!!!!

Did he replace the pads himself, does he know what he is doing??
Yes, and NO definitely not! haha, he hasn't got a clue

Still a hundred miles left on em
I agree

it'll be fine! it's just a viscous coupling brake disk

Reactions: superkarl
I'd never change my car discs or pads. Have done in the good old days. However if you have accident and the brakes were at fault you'll be in real trouble

How the **** did that car pass an MOT, the discs must have been down to the bone for some time....

Reactions: leshkin