Does it come with a Sub ?

killbill

Reaction score
Does the A3 come with a sub as standard with either the Concert or Symphony stereo options ? I can't say I could see this obviously in the cars I have looked at but I seem to remember people mentioning them.

Cheers

:yum:

Not as standard no. The BOSE option has a sub and 195w amp in the boot plus 7 speakers in the cabin.

Yes, you get a sub as standard, regardless of Bose or not.
On non-Bose you have a feeble 50w sub in the lefthand cubbyhole in the boot. Looks like a tupperware box with a cheap door speaker mounted in the front, facing the rear. The amp powers the sub and the rear speakers.

Agree with Andymac - sub on all, but a more powerful one with Bose option.

AndyMac said:
Yes, you get a sub as standard, regardless of Bose or not.
On non-Bose you have a feeble 50w sub in the lefthand cubbyhole in the boot. Looks like a tupperware box with a cheap door speaker mounted in the front, facing the rear. The amp powers the sub and the rear speakers.

Great, thanks for the info

:rock:

Does it really power the rear speakers?
I thought it was just an "active" powered woofer in the side wall of the boot, with the standard Concert II head unit supplying 4 x 25watts to the four main speakers.

I thought the standard Concert stereo had a sub in the dash - in the centre - or not?

I'm pretty sure there is a sub in mine, its apparent when you crank it up a bit, but I have no sub in the boot anywhere.

The speaker in the dash is simply that, a centre speaker.

Just dug out the manual. for the standard stereo in the A3, it quotes 4 x 20 watt plus 40 watt subwoofer.

Its not in the boot anywhere for sure.:huh:

powerplay said:
Just dug out the manual. for the standard stereo in the A3, it quotes 4 x 20 watt plus 40 watt subwoofer.

Its not in the boot anywhere for sure.:huh:

it is behind the boot trim on the n/s so you wont see it

Just turn the stereo on, wap up the volume and listen to the left panel in the boot side - you can hear the distorted bass sound come out from there.
If you hold down the panel with your hand, the sound quality improves dramatically, but my kids wont travel in the boot just to do this for me, so I have to live with the distorted bass boost.....

No Audi HU has a 4 channel internal amp. They only have a 2 x 20w front amp. the rears are always powered seperately and on the Bose option all speakers are powered by external amps.

alfiejts said:
Just turn the stereo on, wap up the volume and listen to the left panel in the boot side - you can hear the distorted bass sound come out from there.
If you hold down the panel with your hand, the sound quality improves dramatically, but my kids wont travel in the boot just to do this for me, so I have to live with the distorted bass boost.....

Kids never do what they are told do they, perhaps you should ask your misses !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry to bring this one up again.

Probably a silly question but the Bose pdf shows a left hand drive car with sub on the drivers side and amp on the other. Is the right hand drive car any different ie do they swap the amp and sub over?

Trust me. There is a reason for asking...

OK then. Next question.

Is the fuel tank on a right hand drive car on the same....... :redface:

Cheers for the quick reply Andy.

Everything at the back of the car is the same, regardless of RHD or LHD

Surely not - When I turn on the nearside indicator, the left one flashes in the UK. Whan I turn on the nearside indicator in a LHD car, the right side flashes....

Seriously - that's why we have to stand in the road to put petrol in our European cars - they're designed so that the filler flap is on the kerb side on the continent....

Japanese cars are designed and built in a RHD country, so they put the filler flap on the left, so it is on the kerbside in Japan and any other RHD country....

Anyone as old as me will rememeber the days when the indicator stalk was on the right in a RHD car, so that you could operate that with the right hand whilst you controlled the gear stick with the left.
They even used to swap the stalks over when they converted a British car and sold it in LHD form, so that the indicator stalk always remained on the opposite side of the wheel to the gear lever.

Then the Europeans took over and all our british cars were designed abroad by global companies who expected us all to drive on the left....
They even gave up on that excellent idea, the foot operated dip-switch, as fitted to my dad's Triumph 2000. It was great - you could dip and updip your headlights, using your left foot, which you were never using for anything else at the time, whilst using your hands to steer the wheel...

The good old days eh?