Does Anyone Like their S3?

Nikon

Reaction score
I've been trawling through the the Forum on this wet morning, well its wet where I am. And I am struggling work out why anyone has bought one? I've had mine just over 3 months driven 3.5k miles and love it is there anyone out there that love theirs?;)

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Cymru09 and Psyman79
I know what you mean, lots of people complaining its not sporty enough. It's a family hatch with a bit more power not an R8.

I've had mine less than a week and love it so far!

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Psyman79 and Nikon
I love mine, best car i've ever owned :)

A lot of negativity seems to be a kind of self harming really. The main gripes are regarding handling and unengaging driving experience which i completely disagree with (my opinion obviously). Most people put lot of research into a car purchase yet still go on to buy a car which, in their eyes, is fundamentaly flawed. Go figure :)

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Simon L, monopole and 1 other person
I think it's a great car, I constantly find myself looking out of the lounge window admiring it on the drive :)

Reactions: Liam Joyce, Frankus, Martinbanshee and 3 others
Love mine, would be a keeper for sure, but the RS3 just has to be mine. Still an 8V MQB chassis so clearly no complaints from me.

19nkog.jpg

316w093.jpg

Reactions: Si_S3, TDI-line, gogz s3 and 4 others
Love mine. Had a few issues under warrenty but hasn't put me off really. Really enjoy the car all round!

@monopole that is a stunning RS3, love the colour.

Reactions: Nikon
I loved my 1 hour test drive and I am sure I will love the S3 when it arrives.

It will give some fun when I want it and will be the family car and capable of carting stuff to and from the kids university and enough room for luggage for a two week holiday for 4 and was a far more exciting option compared to the almost equally priced184bhp diesel Quattro with stronic

Like the real world negative comments are news worthy and postive comments will be received as seeing the world through audi biased rose tinted glasses

So glad this thread has appeared as I only ordered an S3 on Friday and ever since I've just read negativity!

My current 8P S3 is far from the sharpest handling machine and I fully expect the new one to be the same however, it's the whole package that is appealing to me. My GFs Fiesta ST would run rings around it on a B road blast as would various other hot hatches but as a quick everyday car with such quality I can't see much to compare to, especially after the deal I got.

Reactions: Nikon and Psyman79
My motto is, if you don't turn around and look at it as you're walking away from it, then you don't love the car.

Reactions: Si_S3, daydotz, Audi33 and 8 others
I like it a lot.....only car I loved was the focus RS. But as an every day car it's so good...good mpg, looks good, great sound system, comfartable and quick enough.

Only complaint from me would be engine sound or lack of and a general lack of drama when driving fast, but 100% no regrets as I knew what I was buying fully.

My motto is, if you don't turn around and look at it as you're walking away from it, then you don't love the car.

I have a better idea. I'm going to get a great big monolith stone, plonk it in the garden, and carve 6 lines of
"I love my S3"

:p

Reactions: Jassyo06, JordanQuattro, Bristle Hound and 1 other person
My GFs Fiesta ST would run rings around it on a B road blast as would various other hot hatches but as a quick everyday car with such quality I can't see much to compare to, especially after the deal I got.

Exactly the S3 is an excellent and quick point to point car you can have some fun with while on a comfortable 2 week touring holiday round France but the Fiesta ST fun as it is would not be so great on the same holiday with 4 people and luggage.

So, so far, people are saying its a great all round family car, but not a sports car then. ;)

I know, let's re-badge it as a A3 S-Line :)

Reactions: glospete, Jassyo06 and Nikon
I've had mine a year now and still love it. When I do get the chance to go on on my own it still makes me smile.

lol I was on nights last week, on leaving the car I turned around to lock it. I thought how cool the rear lights looked, so just for the hell of it I opened it & then locked it again :D

Reactions: Liam Joyce, Cleggy70 and Nikon
Love/hate here... the driving position is marred by the fact you can't get the steering wheel low enough or close enough, then the seats adjust in a strange way and don't go low enough, hence after an hours driving my legs start to ache. The car's pretty bland to look and almost too boring to drive. But love the interior, the performance, the noise and the low running costs. It's far from the best car I have ever owned, but it's not awful, just disappointing that Audi have designed a car with a few issues that some will not notice and others (me) certainly do. Just leaves me feeling underwhelmed when I drive it and when I look at it. I'm hoping the new RS3 is more of what I want, else it'll be another TTS for me. Shame as the last S3 I owned, an 8P I owned from new for three years, was a better car than the one I have now - OK, not as quick and the interior was a bit dated, but at least it was good on the eye and I didn't have to keep adjusting the seat to avoid getting cramp in my legs. It handled better as well...

So, so far, people are saying its a great all round family car, but not a sports car then. ;)

Depends on your view ...lol....it's quicker than a Porsche Boxster, but expect the Porsche is more engaging to drive...ducks!!!!!

Love/hate here... the driving position is marred by the fact you can't get the steering wheel low enough or close enough, then the seats adjust in a strange way and don't go low enough, hence after an hours driving my legs start to ache. The car's pretty bland to look and almost too boring to drive. But love the interior, the performance, the noise and the low running costs. It's far from the best car I have ever owned, but it's not awful, just disappointing that Audi have designed a car with a few issues that some will not notice and others (me) certainly do. Just leaves me feeling underwhelmed when I drive it and when I look at it. I'm hoping the new RS3 is more of what I want, else it'll be another TTS for me. Shame as the last S3 I owned, an 8P I owned from new for three years, was a better car than the one I have now - OK, not as quick and the interior was a bit dated, but at least it was good on the eye and I didn't have to keep adjusting the seat to avoid getting cramp in my legs. It handled better as well...
Sorry But you are gonna be disappointed with the RS3 then as it won't cure your back and driving position issues

Let's be honest you can't take a family hatchback and call it a sports car because it has a powerful engine and a go fast badge ;)

I've always said if people want a sports car they should buy a roadster.

Let's be honest you can't take a family hatchback and call it a sports car because it has a powerful engine and a go fast badge ;)

I've always said if people want a sports car they should buy a roadster.

So why badge the car in question a S car, if it doesn't steer or handle like a S car should? ;)

Unfortunately, Audi marketing won the day by letting such a car wear a S badge.

Sorry But you are gonna be disappointed with the RS3 then as it won't cure your back and driving position issues

Really? May be not if I spec the bucket seats instead of the SSS I have in my S3 - I'll only know when I sit in them, but read on a German forum that you sit a lot lower in them than the SSS. We shall see once I get my paws on a demonstrator.

lol I was on nights last week, on leaving the car I turned around to lock it. I thought how cool the rear lights looked, so just for the hell of it I opened it & then locked it again :D

I also done this the other day and took a video

Reactions: S32B
Love mine, would be a keeper for sure, but the RS3 just has to be mine. Still an 8V MQB chassis so clearly no complaints from me.

19nkog.jpg

316w093.jpg

Cancel my order! Get me one of those!

Reactions: monopole
From what i've read on this forum (not just the A3 section) it seems as though not one of the S cars is anything like what an S car should be.

Personally i was expecting it to be a fun, fast version of an A3 which i think it is. Surely the RS is the car that is meant to be the top of the tree but they seem to be getting worse reviews than the S cars these days. Only thing RS cars seem to have is a noisy engine and inflated price tag.

Reactions: Simon L, elpaulio and Tony1982
Ive the standard seats and for they are extremely comfortable even after a 300 mile trip. Unfortunately humans come in all shapes and sizes

From what i've read on this forum (not just the A3 section) it seems as though not one of the S cars is anything like what an S car should be.

Personally i was expecting it to be a fun, fast version of an A3 which i think it is. Surely the RS is the car that is meant to be the top of the tree but they seem to be getting worse reviews than the S cars these days. Only thing RS cars seem to have is a noisy engine and inflated price tag.

OK, leave aside the S car thing for a moment, consider the comparison with the sister car. If, Audi is supposed to be the "better" and sportier marque than VW, why does the sister car have steering that has better road feel and turn in? Why does the sister car have better suspension more suited to fast driving?

Audi dropped the ball with the S3 8V with respect to dynamics, there is no question there, perhaps the facelift will address the shortcomings.

Reactions: Psyman79
I've just sold mine. It was a great little car but something was missing for me that I can't quite put my finger on.

I suppose now there is an RS3, the S3 is the poorer relation, it's the middle of the range in the A3 line up now and no longer the top model. Some owners may move onto an RS3 simply to have the best. I'm sure the green eyed monster will come along when an RS3 pulls up alongside you in an S3.

I think the silly low priced Golf R lease deals ruined ownership a little for me. For what is essentially the same car with a different badge, it costs considerably less and gets better reviews. I didnt like the 2 x twin tailpipes or the fake engine/exhaust noises but I suppose the Golf R has them too.

Overall, a great little car, quick, decent fuel economy but lacking a certain something. (Perhaps RS3 has it)

7/10 for me.

That colour is Nardo grey. It's a marmite colour, it can look very flat in direct sunlight and often gets remarks that it's a battleship grey, primed but not painted car.

Here it is on an RS6, you'll see what I mean about the colour

Then you compare it to a proper Metallic colour in direct sunlight...

Think I prefer the Metallic paint option.

Reactions: TDI-line
OK, leave aside the S car thing for a moment, consider the comparison with the sister car. If, Audi is supposed to be the "better" and sportier marque than VW, why does the sister car have steering that has better road feel and turn in? Why does the sister car have better suspension more suited to fast driving?

Audi dropped the ball with the S3 8V with respect to dynamics, there is no question there, perhaps the facelift will address the shortcomings.

I'm not disagreeing with anyones opinions or anything, but, i've never thought that Audi was meant to be a sportier version of VW. Premium yes, sporty no :)

I've always thought that Seat are the sportier branch but thats maybe just me.

Reactions: elpaulio
That colour is Nardo grey. It's a marmite colour, it can look very flat in direct sunlight and often gets remarks that it's a battleship grey, primed but not painted car.

Here it is on an RS6, you'll see what I mean about the colour

Then you compare it to a proper Metallic colour in direct sunlight...

Think I prefer the Metallic paint option.

I see what you mean. Still looks nice though. Not sure what it will look like from the side. Not a fan of the RS3 wheels at all. Might have to go after market for some RS6 replicas maybe.

I'm not disagreeing with anyones opinions or anything, but, i've never thought that Audi was meant to be a sportier version of VW. Premium yes, sporty no :)

I've always thought that Seat are the sportier branch but thats maybe just me.

In the VW Group family tree, yes, Audi is positioned as the sportier marque lineage (along with Seat etc) :)

Audi Mission:
Customer delight remains at the heart of our Strategy 2020. Our brand essence “Vorsprung durch Technik” comprises the values sportiness, progressiveness and sophistication. These are embodied in particular by our technologically advanced and innovative products, which are also noted for their attractive design, high-caliber materials and build quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psyman79
http://www.quattrodaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Audi-RS3-Sportback-Nardo-Grey-4.jpg[/img[
[img]http://www.quattrodaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Audi-RS3-Sportback-Nardo-Grey-9.jpg

I stand by my previous comment. Not a fan of the new RS3 wheels. Subjective of course, probably like the colour.

Everyday is a school day :)

I, myself would've gone Leon Cupra if i'd wanted a sporty VW group car.

Reactions: elpaulio
Love nardo grey, absolutely stunning colour IMHO

Still think any Audi RS car should have big f off wings
Audi should have done the wings something like the Clubsport. Like these -

& rotors? Really Audi come on :no:

BUT I would still love one, if I could afford it :(