1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone know....

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by RichA3Turbo, Jul 29, 2004.

1. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Jul 29, 2004]
    What cable specification the injector wiring uses? Need to get a reel. Also, need cable for the ABS but this is less crucial as its only 'sensing'.

Cheers

Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Jul 29, 2004]
    From an Instrumentation point of view, I'd say the output wiring to the injectors will only have to be simple twin core automotive stuff. It's only operating a solenoid after all and it's a simple switched voltage set-up.

For the ABS stuff, it's picking up a signal and cannot suffer interference on the 'measure' stage...so I'd have thought 2 core twisted pair or screened would be the requirement, as it's an inductive pick up and you don't want interference in the signal.

Might be wrong though...
  4. RichA3Turbo

[Jul 29, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    From an Instrumentation point of view, I'd say the output wiring to the injectors will only have to be simple twin core automotive stuff. It's only operating a solenoid after all and it's a simple switched voltage set-up.

For the ABS stuff, it's picking up a signal and cannot suffer interference on the 'measure' stage...so I'd have thought 2 core twisted pair or screened would be the requirement, as it's an inductive pick up and you don't want interference in the signal.

Might be wrong though...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers glen!

Racelogic will more than likely have what i need, so will speak to them when i pick it up tomorrow... thought id ask here anyway tho!

Thanks!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  5. Ess_Three

Ess_Three Active Member

[Jul 29, 2004]
    Ah..yes! Of course...I've looked into the same!

You break into the injector wiring using normal automotive stuff...and since you aren't actually using the ABS stuff to make the decisions (like the ABS controller does) I'm certian you can use normal automotive wiring for that too...
    As far as I remember you simply solder onto the 'sensor' wire of the ABS cable to each sensor, whilst the other is connected to the 'screen' of the sensor wire.

Again, I may be wrong...but I had this conversation with Racelogic back in the ITR days...

Their system only needs to 'piggyback' the signal off the ABS, whereas it needs to 'interupt' the injector wiring, IIRC.

Have a word with them...they're dead helpful!
  6. RichA3Turbo

[Jul 29, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    Their system only needs to 'piggyback' the signal off the ABS, whereas it needs to 'interupt' the injector wiring, IIRC.

Have a word with them...they're dead helpful!

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct! The ABS sensors i was just going to use some sire tap connectors and then heat shrink them...would have thought that should be sufficient.

As for the injectors, then they obviously HAVE o be cut to be redirected into the TC unit. I dont think its going to eb all that challenging to fit...Just need to be sure of which wires to tap into but using multimeter, should not be a problem. Biggest pain in the arse will be running the loom and to the control unit in the cabin.

Rich
  7. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Jul 29, 2004]
    Getting wires into the cabin on an A3 is actually quite easy. Remove the wipers and the plastic covers at the bottom of the windscreen.

Then remove the cover for the main loom in the engine bay. (the curved plastic thing next to the passenger side strut).

Then run the wires along the loom in the scuttle tray, past the ECU, and on towards the drivers side. Here you will find the main connection points. Lever up the door of the cover and you will see an entrance to the dash.

Inside the car remove the fuse box cover and then the fuse box itself and you'll be able to grab the wires from the engine bay.

Sometimes it helps to remove the trim under the steering wheel also.

Done loads of alarms on A3's/ MK4 golfs (same arrangement). This is far the best and neatest way to go.

Hope that helps.
  8. HTC

HTC Active Member

9. RichA3Turbo

[Aug 2, 2004]
    Right,

So yesterday i startd figuring out the wiring, and started to fit the TC system. So far i have completeed the injector wiring (cut, attach 2 plugs to injector and ecu side of the wires so that it can be easily put back to standard. I have located the ABS sensor wires which was a complete pain in the arse so will be piggy backing onto them tonight aswell as finding my 12v switched feed and routing the control box into the cabin. To be honest, i thought it was going to be much harder, but i am yet to be stuck! Should be complete tonight so can take it out and test it.

Rich