1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone have VAGtacho in the York area?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Tom_B, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Tom_B

Tom_B Member

I need to sort out another key and I have a fob from the old car that I need to get programmed. I am wondering if any forum members have vag tacho in my area?

thanks,

Tom
  2. craigynett

craigynett Member

have you fitted a new transponder in the key? you can't program a used transponder from a different car, they're locked
  3. Tom_B

Tom_B Member

Ah, thanks for your reply - I'll need to get a new blade with a new transponder chip - get the blade cut then reprogrammed the transponder chip. Am I right in thinking that I can reprogramme the old remote locking fob using the putting one key in the door and the other on the ignition method?
  4. craigynett

craigynett Member

yes, new cut blade, new transponder programmed with SKC using vagtacho or similar. Then yes you can program the fob with the manual sync procedure. I'm guessing the old & new cars are both 2000, if so then your old fob will be compatible
    Tom_B likes this.
  5. Arrkon

Arrkon Midlands regional Moderator

Craig. I beg to differ, I have just used VAG tacho to program a used key transponder from a golf onto a Passat to get it running after the original key was damaged. So it can be done.

If it's any use, I have VAG tacho and will be on holiday near Pocklington from a week Monday.
  6. @udi A3

@udi A3 Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

Do you have genuine vag tacho or the Chinese 3.01?
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  7. @udi A3

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  8. craigynett

craigynett Member

9. Tom_B

Tom_B Member

Thanks Arrkon -I will order up a new blade with a transponder chip just to be sure and it would be great if I could come out and see you to programme the new key.
  10. Arrkon

Arrkon Midlands regional Moderator

No worries, should take me less than 20min :)
  11. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

It seems a bit hit and miss TBH.

I broke a 2.8 Quattro last year, and only having one key for my own car, decided to use the 2.8's key on mine. I got a blade cut, and used vagtacho or VCDS (cant mind which) to program the key using the SKC i extracted previously. My car has immo3, and it all worked fine, reusing the original transponder.

However recently i tried programming a used VW key into a mates bora, and it wouldnt work. Everything looked normal thru the process, but the key simply wouldnt take the coding. Fitted a new transponder and that sorted it.

Perhaps it worked for me because the "used" transponder was from an IMMO2 car?
  12. @udi A3

I still wouldnt want to arrive at a car to reprogram and take that chance, do it once with the right tools imo. If that means a few quid for a chip so be it.
  13. Tom_B

Tom_B Member

Thats why I am ordering a new blade and the case bit with a new transponder chip. 25 quid all in cant be bad and, as you say, not worth taking a risk on trying to reprogramme an old chip.