Does anyone check their MPG?

mramage

Reaction score
Hi, looking for a favour here. As you know (I've harped on about it enough by now) my DIS reads well out for MPG (15% as a minimum).

Do any of you guys actually check your MPG from tank to tank to compare against the DIS? You know : ((miles done / litres) x 4.54) ?

If you do, can you tell me what sort of MPG you get? I'm averaging about 29 I'd say, but if I get a true 29, the DIS says about 34 or something. It's quite silly when I fill up, it's claimed my range is almost 600 miles at one point. Maybe it thinks it's a diesel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd like to know if it's common or whether it's just mine.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Relatively new owner of a S3.
Just had it over a week now.
On the last tank it averaged 290 miles for 54 litres.
It works out to about 24.5mpg.
On the DIS it give me a range of 335mls when full.
My car is totally standard.
Would give better mileage if I was a bit light footed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Thanks Danny. About the adjustment, Stirling Audi said it can be adjusted in 5% increments, but I think they took it 5% the wrong way when they adjusted it.

Lomond (in Glasgow) refuse to believe this is possible and say take it to Stirling, which I probably will.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

At least I know it's not just mine, though yours isn't out quite so much.

ZAF, thanks, just saw your reply, looks like yours is almost bang on. It is possible then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also get between 350 - 400 miles out of a tank, thats involving motorway miles and some fast country lanes.

Iam off to wales this weekend so I will fill up and reset my trip and work out what MPG iam actually getting compared to the comp.

I don't bother checking the accuracy.
Since I use it for fun only, and no commuting, I rarely pay any attention to fuel ecconomy.

What I do know:
It costs me about £47 to fill it with Optimax. It does about 280 miles driven properly.
If I pussyfoot about, I'll get 300-320.

If I use 95 octane on the 95 octane map I only get about 230 to the tank driving hard..so the Optimax gives more power and more economy. Woo-hoo.

I guess I should say...there's not a motorway within 100 miles of me...I use loads of winding A roads and a whole lot more winding B roads...which are not the best for fuel economy.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
I don't bother checking the accuracy.
Since I use it for fun only, and no commuting, I rarely pay any attention to fuel ecconomy.

What I do know:
It costs me about £47 to fill it with Optimax. It does about 280 miles driven properly.

If I use 95 octane on the 95 octane map I only get about 230 to the tank driving hard..so the Optimax gives more power and more economy. Woo-hoo.

I guess I should say...there's not a motorway within 100 miles of me...I use loads of winding A roads and a whole lot more winding B roads...which are not the best for fuel economy.

[/ QUOTE ]

but dont you just love those small roads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif the car feels great i try and use them if i can i.e. no my way with the smaller roads

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
What I do know:

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll do the math for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

£47 quid of optimax is about 60 litres. You really do mean fill it!

Anyway, 280 miles works out at 21.1MPG. To compare I got 22.9 (DIS said 27) from filling up at Queensferry, meeting you guys and doing the run to Aberdeen at the last meet. Given that included 50odd miles of Motorway, that's probably quite close.

320 is 24.2MPG, still pretty bad! My last two averaged a true 28MPG! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ess_Three, if you notice what your DIS says when you fill it, let me know.

Im quite happy with the mpg my S3 produces really, but its also dependant upon driving style... on a average run i get 38mpg on motorways between 70-80mph and 24-26mpg around my city..... town driving etc (stop/start).

[ QUOTE ]
Mark R said:

£47 quid of optimax is about 60 litres. You really do mean fill it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I sure do!

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, 280 miles works out at 21.1MPG. To compare I got 22.9 (DIS said 27) from filling up at Queensferry, meeting you guys and doing the run to Aberdeen at the last meet. Given that included 50odd miles of Motorway, that's probably quite close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was probably sitting at around 260-270 potential miles to the tankfull last weekend...but there were sections of relatively steady speed which improves the economy on the roads we were using.

On my normal hunting roads I've been getting around 220 for the tankfull of late...due to the better weather and higher fun factor! (the rear tyres bear this out!)
I'm sure thats a genuine something-teen to the gallon!

[ QUOTE ]

320 is 24.2MPG, still pretty bad! My last two averaged a true 28MPG! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be delighted to get 24.2MPG genuine all the time...but it's just not gonna happen!

More power = more fuel...so I'm snookered there!

[ QUOTE ]

Ess_Three, if you notice what your DIS says when you fill it, let me know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know what it says...normally less than 10.
I normally start looking for a station as the warning chimes at 30 miles to go.

I've never paid too much notice to the DIS's accuracy..at least I know that when the DIS says it's empty, I still have 5 litres or so left in the tank....which is good!

[ QUOTE ]
will_S3 said:
well i get about 350 miles / 400 miles to the tank in my s3 so about 30/35mpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey, how'd you manage that? It's the pedel on the right you know.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd say that I'm a pretty 'conservative' driver and the best I've got so far is 330. That's mostly across B roads to work.

Is most of your journey m/way? Maybe I need to take a few notes as 45 squid every 5 days is a killer - but fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
noodle said:
Is most of your journey m/way? Maybe I need to take a few notes as 45 squid every 5 days is a killer - but fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Noodle, you can sleep comfortably knowing that you are not Driving Miss Daisy!

I'd say your figures are about right for a 'correctly utilised S3'!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am amazed how much miles you guys get from a gallon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
I only manage about 20-23 mpg.......... (1 litre per 6-7 km) I must say I like sprited driving (every day) and also now and then accept a challenge on the motorway against something quick. I use 98 octane fuel and my S3 is chipped to 270 ish.
Am I doing something wrong or is perhaps the setting of the car a bit rich?

(perhaps a heavy right foot?)

Please advise

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

The best I got from my standard 1.8T Sport is 430 miles, and that was fairly easy A roads and motorways. But I regularly get 370 - 390 miles, even with a heavy right foot. Worst is 320!!
How much difference do Optimax make?

[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:
II only manage about 20-23 mpg.......... (1 litre per 6-7 km) I must say I like sprited driving (every day) and also now and then accept a challenge on the motorway against something quick. I use 98 octane fuel and my S3 is chipped to 270 ish.
Am I doing something wrong or is perhaps the setting of the car a bit rich?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah...you are fine.
Mine is at around 270BHP / 310 lb-ft, I also use 98 octane fuel and I also get 20ish as my average all year.

As low as late teens if really pushing, as high as early 30s if driving for economy.

I don't suppose your car is rich...it'll be OK.

when I really floor it at a traffic light the DIS tells me 6 mpg....... so about 110-120 per full tank

still quite happy with the performance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

btw question, can an air filter like the one that RAM-air makes combined with a big air scoop and an aerodynamic filter house influence the fuel economy or the performance of the car?

[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:

btw question, can an air filter like the one that RAM-air makes combined with a big air scoop and an aerodynamic filter house influence the fuel economy or the performance of the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

Only in so much that nice cold dense air being drawn in, and more of it getting into the inlet tract past the MAF, will mean that you will use more fuel and produce more power....this, one would imagine, should have a negative effect on fuel economy, but a positive effect on power.

Thanks for all the replies guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'm not bitching about the fuel economy, not at all, just a matter of DIS accuracy. I used to get 30+ regularly out my chipped A4, even managed a tank average of 36 once. Considering the S3 has more power, weight and twice the drive, a drop of 5-10% is pretty good going in my book. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What I am saying is that people quoting DIS MPG figures might need to confirm it's accuracy before taking it as gospel, so to speak.

Now all I need to do is get Audi to fix it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The DIS is no way accurate. When I fill it up, it usually reads 330miles in the tank, but in reality I don't get anymore than about 240 (and that's motorway driving). Fun driving on back roads is a lot less.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:

Only in so much that nice cold dense air being drawn in, and more of it getting into the inlet tract past the MAF, will mean that you will use more fuel and produce more power....this, one would imagine, should have a negative effect on fuel economy, but a positive effect on power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I wanted to hear..... thinking of getting one of those http://www.dbmengineering.nl/ air filter units.

[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Al,

http://www.dbmengineering.nl/dbm/tuning/airbox/voorbeeld/audi.htm

look here^

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich,

Do you spreak dutch?

I like this one........
http://www.dbmengineering.nl/dbm/aanbod/audi.htm

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but im good at guessing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

The S3 articel...

Heres what i make of it:

Its an S3 that has been bored out to 2 liter and is pushing 415bhp and has titanium something, and has been blueprinted.
Got a big FMIC, Porsche turbo running 2.0bar, 18" alloys, leather interior, 2000model with 35k km on the clock. Top speed of 295km/h (185mph) and 0-60 in 3.9seconds.

A BIT OF A BEAST!!!!!!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

No, but im good at guessing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

The S3 articel...

Heres what i make of it:

Its an S3 that has been bored out to 2 liter and is pushing 415bhp and has titanium something, and has been blueprinted.
Got a big FMIC, Porsche turbo running 2.0bar, 18" alloys, leather interior, 2000model with 35k km on the clock. Top speed of 295km/h (185mph) and 0-60 in 3.9seconds.

A BIT OF A BEAST!!!!!!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right!
it has a competition crankshaft and titatium crossbar
lighter valves and other goodies including the filterset i want.
The only thing is, that fitted the airfilter alone costs 900 Euro...

[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:
The only thing is, that fitted the airfilter alone costs 900 Euro...

[/ QUOTE ]

Blimey! A bit expensive!

Taipan%202.jpg

Taipan%201.jpg

What about this? Not sure how much it is but i reckon it will be about £160 and it uses a stainless gauze filter which wont screw up the MAF. Look quite well made (i have a filter of thiers and its well made!) 10minute job to fit!

Rich

Mark

Just got back from my journey to Wales and the DIS averaged 29._ I filled up and worked out that my true MPG was 27._. So mine is not far out. It seems to me that there is a big differance between cars, iam wondering if it's got anything to do with the cars mileage? Mine just clocked 8000 today.

Also these cars that are chipped, people claim that you can get better fuel economy. I take it this means when your taking it easy.

Thanks Mossy. Looks like under 10% out for you, not bad going when I'm closer to 20%.

I don't think miles covered is making a difference, mines been way off since new. At least from this quick experiment it looks like most are off to some degree.