Does anybody like....

cbass

Reaction score
Website
www.netdocuments.com
Mike Skinner and/or The Streets? I just picked up their new CD, and I really like it. I know he's obviously big in the UK, but I just wanted to know what a few of you thought about him.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Cbass said:
Mike Skinner and/or The Streets? I just picked up their new CD, and I really like it. I know he's obviously big in the UK, but I just wanted to know what a few of you thought about him.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

he's ace! didn`t like "Dry your eyes though" - "could well be in" is better as a slow tune.

fav song is still "same old thing" from previous album.

I just don't get the appeal, I think they are utter $hite!

I heard they totally bombed in the States as people thought is was a joke.

[ QUOTE ]
Leddy said:
I just don't get the appeal, I think they are utter $hite!

I heard they totally bombed in the States as people thought is was a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im hearing you there! utter w*nk

[ QUOTE ]
noodle said:
can stand their music persoanlly, it's sooo lower class..

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly why I like it- The guy is very talented- not a classic artist buy does what he does very well- a chav done good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Can't stand it, but then I could say the same of most chart music...

However, I cannot decide where he sits on the skill / stupidity scale.

cant stand them does my head in every time i hear them on the radio! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/[censored].gif

For anybody that's interested in decent music, Green Days new album, American Idiot, is a masterpiece.

Woah. Tough crowd. I personally think some of The Streets stuff is very good. Mainly I am just happy to hear something that isn't just another blatant (and bad) rip off version of a cheesy 80's track released only to make some money. Can't you at least give the guy some credit for being original?

Leddy, I agree with you on Green Day's new album, I love it!

I have seen bits and pieces of the Dave Chapelle show. It just doesn't usually fit into my schedule to watch it. It is getting pretty big though.

Ronny, thanx for the jacko clips, they're a good laugh!

I hear ya on that garethj, you really do have to listen to the whole album and it's much better. In fact, when I was contemplating buying it, I was listening to it on their website and hated the first song when I first heard it. I didn't go back to the site for a good couple of weeks. Then when I heard a rumor that the album was going to be released over here, I thought what the heck, I'll try listening to it again. This time I skipped the first song, and realized how it works. Now I like it.
Cheers!

Mike Skinner: English bloke who largely on his own writes a sort of autobiographical dialogue based rap which lyrically is a bit rough around the edges. Can't sing, not sure if he can act, not convinced that what he does on the records is actually rap. Hasn't publicly made any homophobic comments about Elton John or got his own mother to sue him in an obvious attempt to create publicity.

Eminem: American bloke who with a lot of help from Dr Dre and many many other people writes a sort of autobiographical satire based rap which lyrically is extremely polished. Can actually sing, can act extremely well and can rap complex lyrics at a blistering pace. Will say or do just about anything to create publicity (including getting his own mother to sue him and making homophobic comments about Elton John).

Succinct for 2:42 in the morning garethj, I was looking back through the posts and thinking how similar the split of opinion was between people -with regard to eminem back in 99-, it seems he was either loved or hated with very few in the middle ground.
Mike skinner is less controversial so whether that adds or detracts from his popularity only time will tell.