1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anybody else offer car valeting/detailing to friends or family?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by JGrant1285, Jun 22, 2007.

1. JGrant1285

JGrant1285 Sir Scouser Benitez

[Jun 22, 2007]
    Does anybody on here offer car valeting/detailing to friends,family or friends of friends? Not as a primary job, but i mean something over the weekend, maybe to bring in some extra money or in exchange for other things *AHEM*.

When i was younger i used to valet my grandads jeep, and my uncles jeep etc....and i used to get paid for it, no more than a wash, and interior done, but now i fancy doing my mates cars fully, just like i would do mine, providing that they are going to make it worth my while. I mean i did mine properly and it took me over 12 hours, thats got to be worth something.

Not just that, but i really enjoy it too...i love being supplied a car thats mingin' and then looking at it once its finished........makes all the hardwork worth while.

Anyone else do this at all....i can't be on my own surely!!??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. ManicMunky

ManicMunky Member

[Jun 22, 2007]
    I clean my dad's car, my next door neighbours car... my girlfriend's mum's car... a few
  4. JGrant1285

[Jun 22, 2007]
    do you charge them, and what do you offer? just a quick clean or whatever they fancy?
  5. ribena

ribena Member

[Jun 22, 2007]
    hhhmmmm

I'm thinking of doing something along these lines hopefully with a view to bigger and better things

was thinking of charging costs of £20ish and spread the word

will keep an eye on this thread

simon
  6. JGrant1285

[Jun 23, 2007]
    Problem is, i dont know about yourself, but i find myself spending quite a fair amount on products....and that just doing my own, personal car. So if it was like £20, then it wouldnt really be worth the while, since i'll be using up all my decent stuff, plus the work in it too.....

I was thinkin about giving a price list out..maybe along the lines of...

Exterior
    Wash (In Megs Car Wash) = £2.50
    Dry with Megs Waffle = £1.50
    Claying Whole Car (Using clay Bar & lubricator) = £10
    Sealant = £5
    Polish = £5
    Hand Glaze = £5
    Wax = £5

Wheels
    Wheels Cleansed in Megs Wheel Brightner = £2.50
    Wheels Protected With Poorboys Wheel Sealant:-
    Front Face Only = £5
    Front Face & Insides of the rim = £10
    Tyre Blacked = £2.50

Interior
    Glass Cleaned (Inside & Out) = £5
    Full Hoovering (Including Boot) = £3.50
    Dashboard Cleaned & Protected (including door cards etc) = £5
    Stain Removal = £2.50

Max Total = £60

P.S. Maybe the prices are alittle sketchy, ive just ran through them quickly. I was also considering creating some packages....so that it works out cheaper if you want a certain package...although i havn't actually thought about these 'packages' yet.

What do you think?

P.P.S. This IS a HOBBY by the way ....wink
  7. Neil_S

Neil_S Member

[Jun 23, 2007]
    I detail my families cars for free and would do a mates car for some beers.
  8. chris_20

chris_20 Member

[Jun 23, 2007]

sexual favours haha
  9. JGrant1285

[Jun 23, 2007]
    Maybe from the laydeeeeeees!!!

So you would use expensive products one one of your mates cars.....for free?

I'm looking at doing this for some extra pocket
  10. ManicMunky

ManicMunky Member

[Jun 23, 2007]
    few quid, favours, that sort of thing.

think the lady next door gave me £50 for doing her Kia,

that was wash, clean, polish (to make it red, not pink), wax, window polish, black trim, interior vacuum and detail, and I re-painted her wheel trims
  11. JGrant1285

[Jun 24, 2007]
    Not bad that, although those type of job only come around once so often. Talkin of that, i remember once, the guy next door sorted me £20 to put that green snot in his tyres....and he supplied the stuff!! I said that i ddnt want that much..but he insisted...oh well!!

Still not sure what prices to pick....it all depends on how much custom i'm going to get....most people i know don't really care that much about their cars (not like i do) either that or they consider it a waste of cash..oh well
  12. ManicMunky

ManicMunky Member

[Jun 24, 2007]
    I know what you mean, you see your car all tidy, clean and shiney, and someone else with a car (that would, or could be really nice) covered in dirt, minor scratches, baked on brake dust.

I may be doing a Ford Expedition soon (dad's mate brought it over from the US). It's HUGE, and it's white, which is gonna make it harder lol
  13. ribena

ribena Member

[Jun 24, 2007]
    looks like you've thought about it quite a bit

I'd based my vague £20 on just materials and doing it for family and close friends only

at the same time getting more experience in using the products and tools on a wider range of vehicles get some feedback then progress to friends of friends and family then as you say sorting some packages out and hopefully getting up to around £150ish over a period of time ????

your price list is maybe too detailed for the average joe. It would take 1/2hr to explain :). I would have thought it easier to offer hoover, wash or polish/wax at £20 each and break it down if they're interested.

you mention people not caring about their cars but i bet they cast an envious glance at yours and shout " mine next " when you're washing it. Time to see if they'll put their money where their mouth is. lol

ttfn