Does any one the dimensions of a 3.2 engine and the competitors V6? Will this fit...

Ash B

Reaction score
Hi all

Just need to know the above and how heavy the engine is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friend looking to put an engine in his A3 and needs to know if approx dimensions 656mm a cross (competitors V8). Engine is 65cm from bottom of the sump to top of the intake manifold and 75cm from the bottom edge of the cam cover to the opposite cam cover. Will fit in an 8P A3 engine bay. Sorry if this doesnt make sense, just want he texted me asking me to write on the thread.

Cheers

Ashley

EDIT: Basically will an 4.2 V8 S4 B6 Lump fit in an A3 engine bay?

Last edited:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Gotcha, whats the number of the engine he is looking to fit? I am intruiged?

Shoot him, its the kindest thing to do !
I have heard of some daft idea's but this takes the biscuit. He either owns a bank in which case buy a Turbo for a 3.2 or he is fast a sleep and having a nightmare...lol

longitudinal V transverse too. When you know they put the battery in the boot on the 3.2 it shows how little space there is left, I'd be amazed a V8 would fit without serious body mods.

If he has to ask the basic question of what size the engine is then he shouldn`t even be thinking about fitting it as he doesn`t know ***** what he`s doing, nothing personal .

If he has to ask the basic question of what size the engine is then he shouldn`t even be thinking about fitting it as he doesn`t know ***** what he`s doing, nothing personal .

That was my thinking re my post 5.....lol

Bwwwaahahaha

you got yours back paddy?

Imagine the weight of that 4.2 in the front of an A3, imagine trying to cool it, imagine cutting the centre of the floor pan out and fabricating/fitting a new transmission tunnel and re engineering the rear suspension to take a proper diff and drive shafts and the new fuel tank, the electrics..... Still with me? Thought not...

The only way the 3.2 fits is because its transverse and a very narrow angle for a V6 so theres no way an S4 lump will fit in without major work.

Saying that though, I know a lad with a VR6 in a mk4 polo so anythings possible if you have the skill, money and resources.