1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy MAF?

Joe1.8T Jul 14, 2011

1. Joe1.8T

Joe1.8T New Member

Hi guys, having a bit of trouble with my a3, wonder if anyone can help...

Car was running fine up until a few days ago. parked it up late at night and all was well, when i started car the next afternoon, the Engine spluttered a bit on tick-over and Stalled... Restarted and Engine wouldn't run without keeping the revs up, even with the revs up it was misfiring a little.

Anyway, i suspected the MAF, as i have not long ago changed the plugs (i felt the car was down on power a little) and the leads/coils appear to be in good condition (cant tell too much visually i know) so i unplugged the MAF.

With the MAF unplugged the car runs fine alas very rich with a very flat powerband, I did a bit of digging and im assuming this is just a baseline map the ECU reverts to with the sensor unplugged, I Tried giving the MAF a clean in iso-alcohol with no joy, as soon as i plug the MAF in the car splutters and cuts out again, all connections seem fine with no oxidisation.

It would appear that i have found the problem, but i just wanted to check if theres any other variables i should take into account before swapping the MAF as im a bit short on cash at the moment! haha

Any Help Appreciated
    Joe :salute:

2. DenCar

DenCar Member

Yeah sounds like the MAF has gone walkies, but get someone with VAG-Com (VCDS) to read any error codes first, before buying a new MAF.

DC

3. Joe1.8T

Joe1.8T New Member

Thanks for the reply Den, Il do just that! :thumbsup:
    Joe