1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy Idling - any ideas?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by audison, Mar 21, 2010.

1. audison

audison New Member

Hi! I'm new to the forum and new to audi's... so new in fact that i don't actually have one yet! I've been running a 98 polo into the ground and was hoping to get it to its mot in june before selling/scrapping, but i'm being forced to buy earlier than i wanted due to a catalogue of faults and it's getting pretty unsafe to drive!

I've looked at a few a3s so far and found a nice 1.8 SE, but it hasn't had a cambelt change at 74k (certainly the first job and immediately!) and when i ran the engine it didn't idle properly until it started to warm up. It took about 2 or 3 mins and wavered between 900 and 1200 revs. Any ideas on what may cause this and how big a fault it could be?

Also, does anyone have any general tips on what to look out for?

Thanks in advance, Mark.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. leshkin

leshkin Hold my beer...
    Gold Supporter VCDS Map User Team Sepang Audi S3

Dirty/fooked MAF sensor and/or dirty throttle body can cause this - at least in my experience.

Hooking it up to vag-com will help to diagnose this better...

Do you not have a better option in terms of a car to buy? Buying an Audi that has not been maintained is just asking for problems.

4. audison

audison New Member

I have seen a couple of others which i will go look at, but i do need to move pretty swiftly. I'm looking for an a3 around 3 and 4 grand, so if you see anything decent post it up and i'll have a look.

Thanks for the response.