dodgy blower/heater motor

• Thread starter imported_greentsport
  • Start date
I

imported_greentsport

hi everyone

ive had my a3 t sport just over a year and its developed a big prob in the blower motor. it keeps going off!!!! or going really slow

is it a shot motor or is there something i can do to fix it
is this a common prob on the older a3s

if it needs changing is it as easy as the golf

Yes common problem with climate control cars as the blower is on all the time. The brushes wear out. You can take it apart and clean them up but it'll only cure the problem temporarily. It's very easy to get to, just remove the glovebox. If you decide to replace it, don't buy one from audi, they are about £350!

Well it's common on older cars, and is dependent on useage, but yes, the blower unit will only last a finite time, i.e. if you use cc all the time and do 15k miles a year then it'll fail after about 7 years.
Just on this forum there are half a dozen people who have suffered a failure (including me) and ringing round the normal suppliers they're all familiar with the problem, so I guess maybe not common, but certainly not uncommon.

My 98 T sport does the same with only 55k on the clock. Is Euro or German & Swedish a better option and how much will it be?? If its £350 from Audi it won't be pennies from these suppliers, will it?

Mine is making a strange squeal/screech each time i get in the car in the mornings and turn the heater on.

Is this the same thing? Its been doing it for ages and goes pretty much straight away.

Europarts seem to be a good source for Valeo OEM blowers, the one below was for an A4
When a new unit is required Europarts (www.eurocarparts.com) quoted £99
+VAT for a Valeo oem part.

Here's the thread on the A4 section
Dodgy Blower

yep mine does strange squeal screech thing too. funny thing is sometimes it wont work til i hit a bump in the road or something then when it runs if i turn right the motor cuts out...very weird...ta for the thread link andymac much appreciated