Do your front wheels spin when hard accelerating (A3 Quattro or S3)?

VWNCC

Reaction score
Do your front wheels spin when hard accelerating (A3 quattro or S3)?

Does the traction control light come on much when hard accelerating (launching normally but hard without launch control)?

I am trying to see if my Haldex system is broken...

Thanks in advance.

More often than not I tend to get 4wd slips. Most of the time I'm accelerating swiftly I'm turning out of a junction, and end up going sideways

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Is your car tuned? If not, it's definitely the haldex pump. It's even worse when wet lol

Reactions: VWNCC
More often than not I tend to get 4wd slips. Most of the time I'm accelerating swiftly I'm turning out of a junction, and end up going sideways

Is your car tuned? If not, it's definitely the haldex pump. It's even worse when wet lol

Thanks for all the replies.

I am getting a lot of traction control kicking in when accelerating hard from a standstill (worse when the floor is wet, but it still happens when the road is dry and cold). If it isn't the haldex, I suspect it might be my AS tires.

No, I am not tuned at all. Briefly described it to my trusted service advisor and he told me that it sounds normal for the A3/S3 sedan.

In addition to traction control kicking in though, I also tend to get this nasty wheel hop (and mechanical knocking sound) when accelerating hard on a stand still in sport mode.

I did the same the other day with the new A4 and it could accelerate hard in an extremely smooth way from a standstill. If this "issue" is normal, then I must say the torsen is way better than the haldex.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, pburv and Rob2k68
Thanks for all the replies.

I am getting a lot of traction control kicking in when accelerating hard from a standstill (worse when the floor is wet, but it still happens when the road is dry and cold). If it isn't the haldex, I suspect it might be my AS tires.

No, I am not tuned at all. Briefly described it to my trusted service advisor and he told me that it sounds normal for the A3/S3 sedan.

In addition to traction control kicking in though, I also tend to get this nasty wheel hop (and mechanical knocking sound) when accelerating hard on a stand still in sport mode.

I did the same the other day with the new A4 and it could accelerate hard in an extremely smooth way from a standstill. If this "issue" is normal, then I must say the torsen is way better than the haldex.
Have another chat with the service guys at your garage...
It sounds like you have the same issues my car had.I mentioned it to the service desk after it's first service and they checked it out and replaced the haldex pump and oil.I haven't had any issues since.

Reactions: BodegaBay, VWNCC, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I tend to get the traction light flicker when pulling away or in 2nd or 3rd when wearing my lead boot. I can't remember the roads been dry in the last couple of months always have been damp/frosty. If I'm feeling like a bit of a blast I turn it off as it helps. Never had wheel hop though. I have assy 2's at 4mm and 400lbs of torque but I also understand the Quattro will not perform miracles.

Reactions: Mark_86 and pburv
If you're planning on replacing veeeight as a human search tool you're gonna need more links than that!

Haha LoL I could never take that crown ;o)

Reactions: simonali and pburv
From what you've descrived I'd be very surprised if the haldex pump wasnt shot. Request an Audi tech take the car out for a test drive and get a second opinion.

Reactions: VWNCC and pburv
As above, sounds like Haldex Pre charge pump. Can source originals for around £210 and fitting is straight forward. Unplug cable, remove 2 bolts and pull it out (after draining haldex oil). Refit new one and refill with new Oil.

Had mine done probably 2 months ago now. Exact same symptons only on An A3 170 TDI Quattro.

Reactions: VWNCC, pburv and Rob2k68
As Rob2k68 states, has been discussed a few times before

Your symptoms are exactly what I had - TC cutting in damp or dry roads at anything above 30/40% throttle.

You definitely have an issue with 4wd, took mine in to Audi and Haldex pump/controller was swapped couple of weeks ago. Got to a point before where I was questioning myself if there was an issue or not, was I getting used to power and driving her harder etc.?

After getting her back - WOW, instant, monumental change and gripped everywhere, wet or dry with hard throttle and zero spin/TC cutting in.

Deffo worth taking into dealer, mention Audi issued a technical bulletin regarding the issue / Haldex with my dealer told me.

Hope gets sorted,

Jon

Reactions: VWNCC, pburv, TDI-line and 1 other person
Thank you all for your help and responses.

I will definitely go get this checked out. Does anyone know what the technical bulletin number is?

Reactions: pburv, Jon Roach and Rob2k68
As Rob2k68 states, has been discussed a few times before

Your symptoms are exactly what I had - TC cutting in damp or dry roads at anything above 30/40% throttle.

You definitely have an issue with 4wd, took mine in to Audi and Haldex pump/controller was swapped couple of weeks ago. Got to a point before where I was questioning myself if there was an issue or not, was I getting used to power and driving her harder etc.?

After getting her back - WOW, instant, monumental change and gripped everywhere, wet or dry with hard throttle and zero spin/TC cutting in.

Deffo worth taking into dealer, mention Audi issued a technical bulletin regarding the issue / Haldex with my dealer told me.

Hope gets sorted,

Jon
On the nail mate....Exact response I felt...:yes:
I think from memory that I had an issue with my car from new as I recall the T/C light flashing every time I planted my foot on the pedal..

Reactions: VWNCC and Jon Roach
Update...

I brought the car in and test drove with the lead tech and he agreed that it wasn't normal. He did the scan and confirmed a Haldex pump fault. It is getting fixed next week.

Thank you all!

Reactions: pburv, Jon Roach, TDI-line and 2 others
Glad to hear your getting sorted.....

Do us a favour, when you get her back, give her a bit, remember that feeling then in one sentence, reply to this......

Enjoy!

Jon

Reactions: pburv and VWNCC

Do us a favour, when you get her back, give her a bit, remember that feeling then in one sentence, reply to this......

Enjoy!

Jon

Will do.

Also, soon after the fix...she will be getting the Bilstein B12 kit on!

Reactions: pburv, Jon Roach and Rob2k68
Update...

I brought the car in and test drove with the lead tech and he agreed that it wasn't normal. He did the scan and confirmed a Haldex pump fault. It is getting fixed next week.

Thank you all!
Great news mate...You will notice the difference straight away...

Reactions: Jon Roach and Rob2k68

Enjoy!

Jon

As promised...my car is fixed....

BIG DIFFERENCE with and without AWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No more wheelspin or traction control light disruption under even full throttle!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rob2k68

No more wheelspin or traction control light disruption under even full throttle!
Welcome back buddy...:yahoo:

Reactions: Audi Bairn, VWNCC and Rob2k68
I have noticed wheelspin too when i try to accelerate after having to drop gears and the TC light flickering. I thought it was just me

And it does that horrible kind of thudding noise when it does it

Im gonna keep an eye on it in the next few days and get it in to get checked out if it keeps doing it

Reactions: pburv
I have noticed wheelspin too when i try to accelerate after having to drop gears and the TC light flickering. I thought it was just me

Im gonna keep an eye on it in the next few days and get it in to get checked out if it keeps doing it

Exactly what I had before I got the haldex pump fixed...as what others had recommended previously, please go to the dealership and have them do a scan on your haldex system...it is easy to pick that up.

Reactions: Jon Roach, Audi Bairn and pburv

The thudding noise you refer to is called 'tramping'..Not sure /can't remember whether your car is front wheel drive or quattro(sorry:concern:...lol)
If it's front wheel drive then wheelspin/tramping is normal...:friends:
If it's a quattro then I suggest a visit to your dealer is needed..

The thudding noise you refer to is called 'tramping'..Not sure /can't remember whether your car is front wheel drive or quattro(sorry:concern:...lol)
If it's front wheel drive then wheelspin/tramping is normal...:friends:
If it's a quattro then I suggest a visit to your dealer is needed..
My car is a front wheel drive. I think it might just have been the way i down shifted the gears it hasnt done it today and been out in it most of the day

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn
My car is a front wheel drive. I think it might just have been the way i down shifted the gears it hasnt done it today and been out in it most of the day
Looks like you will have to go easy on the loud pedal then...lol

Reactions: Karen O' and Rob2k68

Haha, glad your sorted bud...... exactly same when I picked mine up after Haldex pump replacement..... zoom zoom !

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
If you have a front wheel drive car then "tramping" is going to happen a lot this time of year if your over friendly with gas pedal. There is only one cure for this and it involves your foot.

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv and Rob2k68
Looks like you will have to go easy on the loud pedal then...lol
Yeah to be fare i never drive wearing heels, always flat shoes. Im trying to be a bit more girly so started wearing heels so prob pressing the pedal a bit harder than i think lol

Reactions: pburv
I get this on my 2 wd A3 Sportback 2L diesel....only when roads are greasy though....I even got a slide on the other night....I was thumping it down though...plus I think the car was in DPF Cleaning mode which seems to give me a bit more power. I asked Audi if they could keep that switched on full time and they laughed at me ..... haha

Reactions: Karen O'
Mines with the dealer now hopefully getting this issue resolved.

Initially they tried to blame the rear tyres being down to 3-4mm. I stuck to my guns and told the service manager that there was 100% a problem. He then escalated to their master tech who said he'd strip down and inspect the pump. On doing so he found swarf in the oil. What's annoying is nothing showed up on the diagnostics and the Haldex oil was changed less than a month.

So my question is, what should I ensure is changed? The service manager mentioned filter and seals, do I need to insist on the pump being changed too? Where / what has been chewed to generate swarf in the oil - I'm guessing parts of the pump?

Hopefully it's nothing more serious than the pump - did they replace the filter last month also ?

Hopefully it's nothing more serious than the pump - did they replace the filter last month also ?

Service sheet just says Haldex oil replaced. I'd assume if you replace the oil, surely that would mean you'd also do the filter at the same time?

Reactions: Rob2k68
Service sheet just says Haldex oil replaced. I'd assume if you replace the oil, surely that would mean you'd also do the filter at the same time?

Yes makes sense to me also - wonder why they didn't pick up on the swarf first time round ?

Reactions: EmmaJ
Guess laziness and lack of attention to detail.

Service probably went something like this: Pull the drain plug, let it drain, come back in ten minutes, replace filter and put new oil in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68
<sigh>Apparently just changing the seals, filter and oil didn't fix the problem with my Haldex pump so they are now going to replace. Maybe I'm missing something but with swarf in the oil wouldn't it be obvious something metal doesn't have the same amount of metal it once had and that metal thing might need replacing?

A new pump is being fitting tomorrow, hopefully that means I'll have my car back for the weekend....

The loan Q3 just isn't cutting it :/

Reactions: Audi Bairn, TDI-line and Rob2k68
<sigh>Apparently just changing the seals, filter and oil didn't fix the problem with my Haldex pump so they are now going to replace. Maybe I'm missing something but with swarf in the oil wouldn't it be obvious something metal doesn't have the same amount of metal it once had and that metal thing might need replacing?

A new pump is being fitting tomorrow, hopefully that means I'll have my car back for the weekend....

The loan Q3 just isn't cutting it :/

Bummer ! -hopefully you're sorted tomorrow.

Given the number of failures I'm surprised that dealers don't keep at least one in stock. Mind you I had to special order a brake caliper !

:sign omg: Just got back after collecting my S3 after the Haldex pump has been replaced. Night and day difference! WOT through 1st, 2nd and 3rd and not a flicker of traction control light or even a chirp from the tyres. Seriously happy...

Now I just need to choose between MRC or Unicorn for the remap :search:. MRC are local so that's probably the sensible option.

Reactions: TDI-line, Rob2k68 and Tom.H
Initially they tried to blame the rear tyres being down to 3-4mm. I stuck to my guns and told the service manager that there was 100% a problem. He then escalated to their master tech who said he'd strip down and inspect the pump.

:sign omg: Just got back after collecting my S3 after the Haldex pump has been replaced. Night and day difference

Mine has starting slipping a bit the last week or so, and on one occasion very noticeably (this morning) on a piece of road that I have never had a problem with before. I know my tyres are down to 2-3mm and roads been very greasy last few week so not convinced its a Haldex issue but will keep an eye on it for another week.

FYI - Mines 17,000 miles and 16 months old

The fronts are at 5mm it was my rears that are down to 3-4mm which they originally tried to blame the problem on. Mine is 3 years old and 55k but I only recently acquired the car and quickly worked out there was a problem.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Daveotto
Mine has starting slipping a bit the last week or so, and on one occasion very noticeably (this morning) on a piece of road that I have never had a problem with before. I know my tyres are down to 2-3mm and roads been very greasy last few week so not convinced its a Haldex issue but will keep an eye on it for another week.

FYI - Mines 17,000 miles and 16 months old

Try it on a dry road...when my car had the Haldex issue, the front wheels would hop even on dry road.