1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you suffer from Notchiness???? Then you need...

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by s8n, Apr 8, 2003.

1. s8n

s8n Member

To have Audi adjust your gearbox linkages under the shifter and change the oil to Castrol Syntrax. There is a Audi Bulletin available to all dealers worldwide that explains the fix.

I had mine fixed today, they replaced the gearbox mounts, adjusted the linkages and also replaced the oil with a full syntheic jobbie called Syntrax, the result? Honda still gearbox shifting :p

Peace.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  2. A4Steve

A4Steve Guest

s8n,

Do you have any more info on the Audi Bulletin ?

I was going to get them to change the GearBox oil to a full syntheic at my 15k service in a week.. (Along with my engine oil)..

Any info you can share would be great..

SAM
  3. s8n

s8n Member

Hi Sam

No sorry, I was just told by my dealer its a known issue and that there is a Bulletin sent out from Audi to the dealers about it, a Good dealership should be quite aware of this.
    Sorry I have no further information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. RAPS3

RAPS3 Well-Known Member

Mines a MY00 S3, and yes I suffer from notchiness especially from 1st to 2nd when cold. It p*sses me right off. I have complained but was told that all Audi boxes where like this!!
    This is definately interesting if Audi are aware of problems. Is this a warrenty issue? If so I'm glad I extended it.
    Anyone else heard of this.
  5. joesa

joesa New Member

Hi guys

I drive a 2002 S3 and my gearbox was also very notchy from new. I took the car to the dealer the middle of 2002 and they replaced the gearbox oil with fully synthetic oil.
    The oil was covered under warranty and yes there was a bulletin from Audi to the dealer about this (last year already) cos my dealer knew about the bulletin.
    Alot of the guys in the Audi Club of SA uses Mobil 1 fully
    synthetic oil. The fully synthetic oil sorted out my
    gearbox notchiness and the difference is like night and day.

later
    Joe
  6. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    r88per said:
    Mines a MY00 S3, and yes I suffer from notchiness especially from 1st to 2nd when cold. It p*sses me right off. I have complained but was told that all Audi boxes where like this!!
    This is definately interesting if Audi are aware of problems. Is this a warrenty issue? If so I'm glad I extended it.
    Anyone else heard of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

My A3 1.8T is horrible when its cold.. difficult to get inot 2nd, but when its warmed up, its fine...

Rich
  7. XXX_18T

XXX_18T Member

i actually changed my linkage to the TT linkage which makes the shifts 20% shorter and less notchier.

Must do mod for all u A3 drivers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif
  8. Drill

Drill Member

[ QUOTE ]
    XXX 1.8T said:
    i actually changed my linkage to the TT linkage which makes the shifts 20% shorter and less notchier.

Must do mod for all u A3 drivers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

btw Costa, look HERE for an interesting write-up on installing a short shifter. It also has a nice explaination on how to align your gear shift. Might be worth looking into /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
  9. mramage

mramage Member

Ok, among a few other others things (like DIS MPG reading and underneath rattly noise), the car is booked in for the notchy 1st-2nd gear change in 2 weeks times, just before Buxton. The dealer seemed to know nothing about the bulletin. I'll see what they say on the day.
  10. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

Apparently Neuspeed have a specially designed S3 short shift conversion kit in the pipe line. 40% reduction and heavier feel by all accounts. Sounds interesting.
  11. Banwell

Banwell previously LeeS3

hmm. they didn't say anything about the linkages. But had two runs in the car and it's getting smoother. Although there is still some inherent notchiness. Haven't driven the car for two weeks and still getting to know it all over again.

Been relegated to a White Nissan Micra with L plates while my car was off the road. A very enlightening experience...

I guess the gear change is now more fluid and slick, but connects home with the usual audi reassurance.

Hopefully with the short shifter kit (soon to be fitted) the gear change will be very slick and snappy - like the boxster s I dorve recently.