1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you remember......

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amb276s3, Jun 21, 2005.

1. amb276s3

amb276s3 bird spotter

[Jun 21, 2005]
    ...... the old tv adverts that showed how to indicate correctly at roundabouts, when to use rear fog lamps etc
    seems to me that they should be given a rerun.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. myzeneye

myzeneye Member

[Jun 21, 2005]
    and front foggy's..... damn saxo drivers...
  4. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 21, 2005]
    Surely you don't need to indicate at roundabouts these days, the traffic lights have sorted that out. People don't actually seem to know what to do at an unassisted roundabout anymore. They just stay in the outside lane until their exit comes round. It's a brilliant system!
    Weren't roundabouts introduced to replace traffic light junctions? Now we have the best of both worlds, feckin nanny state......
  5. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Jun 22, 2005]
    So this will be for the BMW drivers then..............
  6. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Jun 22, 2005]
    traffic lights on roundabouts is a rarity where I stay. More common is you sitting on the edge of a roundabout trying to guess where the hell the driver is planning to go because the lane they are in has no bearing on the direction they will end up.
  7. imported_unkle

imported_unkle Guest

[Jun 22, 2005]
    Only ever seen two roundabouts in Germany, and on one of those people had parked on the outside lane I kid you not....
  8. fallmonk

fallmonk Turbo Sport

[Jun 22, 2005]
    Come up to "East Kilbride " in Scotland its called "pollo mint city" u cant go 1mile with out a bloody round-about! , i think the work on the idea practice makes perfect , the local neds hobby is to c if they can get there cars into top gear lol
  9. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 22, 2005]
    They're everywhere down south. The worst thing is that they're operational 24/7. So you can be steaming home in the middle of the night and it can take 3-4mins just to go all the way round the motorway exit ones
  10. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 22, 2005]
    Anyone been to Hemel Hempstead, and experienced the magic roundabout?

So-called because the planner must have been on magic mushrooms when he designed it!

It's actually a circular, two-way road (with me so far?) with five other roads intersecting with it. Each intersection is a separate mini-roundabout.

It sounds totally bizarre, yet it's amazing how quickly you assimilate it.
  11. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore

[Jun 23, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

So-called because the planner must have been on magic mushrooms when he designed it!

It's actually a circular, two-way road (with me so far?) with five other roads intersecting with it. Each intersection is a separate mini-roundabout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm JDP, i live here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But the magic roundabout is easy to use, it's only when you get the people from out of town going in the wrong lanes, round the wrong way, etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif
  12. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 23, 2005]
    I agree. When I first moved there, I thought it was mind-blowing, but after a couple of weeks, I had it sorted. What part of Hemel do you live, BTW? I worked in the Marlowes for three years from 1991 to the end of 1993, & lived in Bovingdon.

They started building the A41 by-pass over Roughdown Common the month we moved in & finished it the month we moved out! So, every day for three years , I'd queue for half an hour to get out of Box Lane onto the A41 & into town, watching the progress of the under-construction bridge as I went.
  13. bravepilot

bravepilot Member

[Jun 23, 2005]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a true nightmare, first time I went, I drove all the way around to get off the junction on the right, I did not realise at the time I actually could have turned right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Maybe EVERYONE should take their test in Coventry, because Coventry is a city of roundabouts, and not a lot else (apart from being the place where they make London cabs)
  14. [Jun 23, 2005]
    IIRC, Theres one in Swindon, with one roundabout in the middle and five around it.. meaning the middle one you go round the wrong way.. and works very well!

town planning humour!