1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do these s3 sat nav s work

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Towns, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Towns

Towns Member

ebay://launch?itm=250985606240

Hi thinking about buying one of these are they as good as they say,,!
  2. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep. Regional Rep

iv used them a few times and there not very good
    i tend to stick with rns-e
    but its all down to what you want
  3. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

i tried it they are poor fitment and quality i have an old mk 1 rns for sale for considerably less if youd like
  4. RPB

RPB Active Member

Audi RNSE sat-nav is rubbish compared to TomTom unit. A modern, 2011 sat-nav that cannot even accept 7 digit post codes? wtf?
    Rubbish. TomTom all the way as well if you need to divert quickly as in 2 buttons it is done. TomTom re-routes quicker, better routes.
    I use the Audi one but I do not rate it at all.
  5. Towns

Towns Member

Fair point but Ido like built in ones, going to look for a mk3 one after the first two posts , I am looking at buying a be with 2 k on the clock but does not have sat nav
  6. NHN

NHN Modmetractor

The rns-e is not rubbish, you have to remember its based on a system that is now 8 years old, tom tom is updated every year & is specifically a company for mapping, they will always be better than oem kit given they're fighting to get people to buy there units over factory fits, so of course they will improvde the feature set over what is available to the car new.

Overall there is no unit that suits, fits, works better with the other car systems, that is undeniable, plus its not just nav is it, sd cards, phone capabilities, cd, auxin, iphone connectivity, video possibilities, albeit you need addons for some of these systems, but for me, its a good system that looks part of the car, tomtoms are very good, but I dont want a sucker stuck to the windscreen with a 12v lead slapped across my dash as such, its fugly.

I've used my rns all across europe & italy many times & its been perfect, although I agree the post code input isnt great, but it still works & coupled with the other systems I use with it, its great.
  7. Towns

Towns Member

I could not agree more sitting in a car worth over twenty K with a wire coming out of the cig lighter. You see these people in Bentleys with a phone to there ear driving down a motorway and you think just buy a fing hands free kit.
  8. RPB

RPB Active Member

I disagree! LOL
    8 years old - say no more. Why have they not updated it? Now I have to buy the next S3 to get the new one!
    Don't want a sucker stuck to windscreen? - Completely agree. This is my first car I have not even used my Roadangel in. Never went a day without that in the Subaru. My TomTom is an older model and so is fugly anyway.
    When all said and done, there is no excuse in a 2011 car to not have full post code searchability. Anything less is very poor and just not up to how it should be.
  9. Towns

Towns Member

I agree they should do full post code search but what can you do ?!?!?! Buy a ford LOL,