1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do the Adaptive Lights do this??

N8 Dec 6, 2007

1. N8

N8 Kowalski Details VCDS Map User

2. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member VCDS Map User

They will go up and down if you have Xenons.

3. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Moderator VCDS Map User

4. N8

No Staz, thats just what happens when they are turned on!! But normal xenons shouldn't go up and down though issac. Its only Bi-Xenons (i.e. xenons + adaptive lights) because the light unit is able to move. All the cars I've owned, and friends owned with xenons don't go up and down! (i.e. clio 172, tt etc)

5. emzino

emzino Active Member

Well i'm on a 53 plate A3 with Xenons and they go up & down I can assure but not left & right...

6. N8

Yeh I know. I said that, its AFS - Adaptive Front Lighting System, they are on the passat are they on any of the Audi range, does anyone know?

Thanks. I saw this video and even the leon has afs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wGeSNYxJLQ

7. Staz

Yes exactly. Most systems do a self test when you turn them on. That way there's less chance of turning on the lights and going round a bend and then the lights getting stuck facing to one side, leaving you blind!

8. N8

Oh yeah, I got you. :icon_thumright:

9. s3mike

s3mike Member

My adaptvie xenons, go down, up and then do a little left right movement when turned on.

Looks quite cool reflected back of the garage door!

10. N8

Get the vid up!!! Thanks

11. Amchlolor

Amchlolor Active Member

My wife's Clio has 'extra' front lights, built into the side of the headlight, that illuminate when you turn the wheel.
    They seem like a gimmick, they actually work very,very well.
    Merely being additional lights, no chance of them seizing and no added weight of motors.

http://www.renault.co.uk/Safety_Video_CorneringLights.aspx

12. Staz

Is that all they did though?? My mate had a vectra vxr and the lights moved left and right but when turning at slow speeds an extra light came on too.

13. N8

Bi-Xenons its built into the main light. You're chattin about an extra light. the mercs and cayennes have that as well as does my cousin clio 197!

14. Issac Hunt

Issac Hunt Active Member VCDS Map User

I can assure you my Xenon lights go up and down EVERY time the lights are switched on, its part of the auto-levelling initialisation procedure.

Bi-Xenons ARE NOT Xenons + adaptive lights. My B7 A4 (07) has Bi-Xenons, this means the the dipped beam and main beam are both Xenon. As oppose to some earlier A3's for example that only came with a Xenon dipped beam and a normal halogen bulb for main beam.

Adaptive lights mean they will turn to the left and right when your cornering. This is an additional option on top of Bi-Xenon headlights, which my current A4 does not have.

15. N8

Thankyou Issac, I think you've just cleared that up for me! Excellent!

16. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

Does anyone kow if you can retro fit the AFS motors (and controller) to the existing bi-xenon units?

17. N8

That is a very good question, Audi don't do it - I check the uk site, but in the vid I posted its on a Passat and also on a Leon as well? I dont understand why they would install it onto those cars and not the Audi range?

18. José

José Member

Since we're talking about the xenon lights, I have had a lot of complaints from the other drivers, because the lights are too high. It's strange because the calibration is automatic and it should be allright. Can't we manually lower the lights a bit? I only notice the lights adjusting in the garage and when I move from a standing position.

19. N8

That is weird hose.

20. si_reading

si_reading Member

I've seen this on Clios at work too - quite a good feature that does work. Didn't know what it was at first when I drove it in the dark lol.

21. Nitronic

Nitronic New Member

:icon_thumright:

22. drnutta

drnutta Member

Hiya,

I can confirm that the adaptive lights do this!

All working now :laugh:

23. Marcyboy

Marcyboy Member

My Previous Focus ST 225 had Xenons (Factory) .. and these were Not Bi Xenons.... and they went up and d own self testing like my std Audi ones... Also the other Half's Clio 182 also does this....