Do I Upgrade?

Ste-Martin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got an A3 2.0TDI 2006 at the moment and looking to upgrade to something with a bit more punch. Been looking at an A5 3.0 TDI Line 2010. The question is do I or don't I? Nothing wrong with the A3 just want something a bit newer that I can keep for a few years.

Thanks

I moved from an S3 back to an A5 3.0tdi. My only regret is that the MMI system was slightly more dated than the 8v model. The A5 is far more refined and the engine is a gem. Neither car is built for handling but as a motorway cruiser with effortless overtaking I'd choose the A5 every time.

Has every MMI unit got Bluetooth for phones? And anyway to stream music over it like any other bluetooth device.

Hi, as far as I'm aware, you cannot stream music via bluetooth. You can only use it for calls.

However, the MMI systems do come with a range of input options such as USB, SD card and AUX too. You just gotta find one that has what you need.

If you listen to music often then you're best off not using bluetooth anyway as you lose sound quality whilst streaming.

I went from an S3 to an S5 and, engine and power aside, the sheer refinement of the cabin and car overall is something else, as Dragon points out!

I think your best bet is to go and test drive one, it's the only way you'll know! ;)

If you go up and down motorways a lot I think you'll definitely enjoy the A5 more!

I went from a 2006 A3 2.0TFSI to the 3.0 TDI A5.

As stated above the handling is less sharp but the refinement is much improved.

If you go for MMI High Plus then I believe you can get Bluetooth to stream your music, sadly only available in the later models but Ash has just retrofitted it to his!

After the 2.0 TDI you will LOVE the power and Quattro will keep you planted!

I went from the 2.0 tdi A3 sportback to a 3.0 tdi A5 sportback and it's so much better!
Much more refined, smoother car and lots to upgrade.

The pre-facelift A5 doesn't come worth Bluetooth streaming however if you get a 2012+ (facelift) A5 with mmi 3G then it will have Bluetooth streaming or you can just upgrade the mmi on the pre-facelift cars to the newer mmi although that's easier when you have the mmi 3G high.

Best way to tell if you have 3G mmi is to look for the mmi multimedia unit under the screen with the 2 sd cards and the small joystick in the middle button by the gearstick. If you see a car with the 6 cd changer in the dash then it's a 2g and if the stereo controls are on the dash and not by the gear stick then it's not even mmi (no Nav)

I can retrofit the mmi's if you want it done along with all the other bits in the A5

Yeah no Nav in that, basic Audi infotainment stereo with 6.5 low res screen. looks like an aftermarket bluetooth kit as well in there. has auto lights and auto wipers though

MMI 3G on that with Bang and Olufsen speakers, heated leathers, cruise control and auto lights... not a bad spec.

Reactions: Swanny356
Contacted them tonight so should have a phone call tomorrow about it. If it's still available I will go up on Sat to have a look. Can't find my original head unit for my A3 now as well and need to rip out my sub and put the original one back in even though the amp out if it was gone before I got it.

Much nicer than the first one you listed.

Looks a great spec and with good service history and warranty.

Good luck on Sunday.

Just want it to be Sunday now. Best get mine washed in and out tomorrow.

I know someone that won't get much sleep tonight:racer::sleeping:

Looking at the weather tomorrow you'll love the Quattro!:scared2:

Had a bit of a do with insurance company so now picking it up on the 5th Dec. Hate waiting for things

:yahoo:Knew you wouldn't resist it.

5th !!!! :cold:Oh well early Christmas pressie I suppose!

I notice you are already looking at the mods, slippery slope:whistle2:

Welcome to the 3.0 club.:salute:

Sandra I feel a tune is in order! Welcome to the jungle????:rock:

Thought I'd get my annual use of smilies in on this one.:yum:

Reactions: RS5 JON
Hahaha, it's only 3 weeks :cry:. Won't be doing many mods on it besides the map upgrades when I have got time. But I always say that ha

Ah the 5th has come early eh!

Time to get thinking about all those mods that you're not going to do of course:whistle2:

As for the 3.0TDI club......

:welcome!: and don't forget

:sign pics:

Reactions: RS5 JON
Well............

Did it happen?

Probably too busy grinning from ear to ear whilst razzing round the country:blackrs4:

Yes picked it up on Friday morning. Love it, drives so much better than the A3.

Reactions: Swanny356 and RS5 JON
Good job you went for the Quattro then really.

Don't want to unleash all those horses through two wheels do we - got to keep the reigned in :whip:

(I know terrible pun)

Off to clay and polish the new wheels now.

I'll post some pics in my original thread.

Look forward to some pictures soon.