1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a stereo harness adapter

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Red_Stafford, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

Hi all, I have a 1.9 TDi sport avant, I have just brought a second hand Sony headset http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/151525/reviews.htm from a lad at work, the question is will this fit straight in or will I need to buy the wiring adapters because I've got to go to Halford anyway to get the stereo removal keys
  2. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

Ok so I fitted it but the original wiring as three plugs one for live, earth etc, one for front speakers and another for the rear but the new stereo only has two plugs so do I need some kind of adapter?
  3. Enzo_UK

Enzo_UK New Member

You should have two 8-Pin ISO plugs, one for power and the other for speaker, and these should plug straight into an aftermarket stereo.

If there is a third plug that is different, I would guess its for a changer, or something like that.
  4. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

I think the third plug is for the rear speakers because at the moment I don't have any audio coming from the rear when I set the fade to the rear

Attached Files:

5. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

I also have this mystery plug in removed from the stock radio

Attached Files:

6. Enzo_UK

Enzo_UK New Member

The first pic apears to be a 'Mini ISO' used as a line out for feeding an amp, like on cars with Bose.

They are normally in three bits that pull apart, yellow, green and blue... one bit for changer, one for phone, and one for line out, but looks like its all in one, but only one end is used.

Second pic shows the two 'ISO' plugs, the black one is the power, and the brown one is for the speakers... but on the speaker one only 4 of the 8 pins are used, so you are correct only the fronts are fed direct from the stereo.

I would guess there is a factory fitted amp in the back of the car, in my Saloon with Bose it is on top of the drivers side rear wheel arch.

Third pic looks like a 'Fakra' which is normally used for aerials, or GPS, etc... is there a more normal aerial type plug there aswell? If so it could just be left from some phone prep kit that has been in there in the past.

I dont really know what your options are, such as if you can feed the amp using the line out on the back of a normal radio, never tried to do it, but someone must know.
  7. dale86

dale86 Member

Yeah you need a harness mate for rear amped speakers can be bought from Halfords it clips into your remaining plug
    Also if you like send me your num and ill send a pic and you can post it up if you like as it may also help others. I dont know how to post pics lol.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  8. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

Sent you a PM with my email if you want to email that picture over.

There is a standard aerial plug but I need an adapter to make it fit the stereo.

Also I do have a parrot hands free fitted which was plugged into the standard stereo, can this be wired to the new stereo?
  9. dale86

dale86 Member

Im not sure on the parrot as ive never fitted one but im more tjan certain it can be done and you will need an aerial adaptor female to male can be purchased also from halfords and email is on the way hope it helps.
  10. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

11. dale86

dale86 Member

I cnt tell from that pic mate all i can tell you is it about the same price as the one I purchased lol best to go in store an compare to the pic i sent you shud be right as long as has the sepperate plug for you rear amped speakers
  12. Enzo_UK

Enzo_UK New Member

The Parrot should just plug in between those two 8-Pin ISO plugs and the new stereo.
  13. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

Sorry mate, can you be more specific
  14. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

Have u sent the pic, I haven't received it yet
  15. Rudedaubin

Rudedaubin Member

The mystery plug you have shown is a seperate Fakra aerial feed which you wont be using with the new radio. You can just leave it tucked out of the way. Your new radio will only need the standard aerial wire fitting ,although you will need an aerial adapter to power the booster or you'll get no reception.

With regards to the other connections, the power and the front speakers will go directly into the back of your new radio.The rear speakers will probably need an adapter to connect either to the rear rca output on the radio or to the speaker output through a line converter. Finally there's no accessory wire on the existing car wiring so you'll need to either link the permenant live to the accessory live on the radio , or wire in a relay using a switched 12v feed from the igniton key .

Did mine a couple of months ago , although mine was Bose so I didn't have the iso plug for the front speakers. Also not sure on wiring the Parrot but it sounds like it should just work through the front speakers anyway.
  16. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

17. dale86

dale86 Member

Yeah ive emailed you 2 pics mate ill try again now and check sent to roght address
    That isnt the lead i have i think thats for newer a4.
  18. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

Still not received mate, have a check
  19. Red_Stafford

Red_Stafford Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  20. Rudedaubin

Rudedaubin Member