1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have a cooling fan issue?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by BradV6, Jan 23, 2013.

1. BradV6

BradV6 Member

[Jan 23, 2013]
    It's a 3.2 2005.

Each time I start the car the fans more often than not kick in straight away, even in these icy conditions.
    Also when I lock the car after its been driven and got up to temperature, mostly short journeys, the fans stay on for a good few minutes.
    Is there a known cause for this? Not really a problem but the fans are on a lot and it never used to be like it.

Thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[Jan 23, 2013]
    Coolant sender, get vcds on it & check measuring blocks, to see what its registering temps as.
  4. paulious

paulious Member

[Jan 24, 2013]
    Hi, I've just had a similar problem with my 54 plate A3 3.2. The fan only used to come on after a hard drive for a few minutes when parked up. That's perfectly normal but last week drove to work very sedately in icy conditions(about 12 miles). Parked up and noticed the radiator fan was making a hell of a racket, it was spinning at full speed which is louder than usual. Came back to the car 8 hours later and everything was dead. Jumper cabled it to a friends car and instantly the fan was on full power again.

After some googling I instructed Audi to replace the fan(they come as a kit, one for A/C rad and one for main rad). The sensor is actually built in to the fan itself. £360 later and the problem has gone away.
  5. BradV6

BradV6 Member

[Jan 29, 2013]
    Wow! To be honest it's not giving me any battery problems at all and it doesn't stay on for more than i'd say 3 minutes after the car is turned off. It is really loud so apart from that I may just live with it, £360 is a lot of money for a fan even if it does come with the rad!
  6. BradV6

BradV6 Member

[Oct 30, 2013]
    Sorry to revive my old thread, but the problem is now worse.
    I have noticed poor fuel consumption lately as well despite the engine size!

Obviously this fault has been ongoing all year and I haven't got to it yet, but tonight I the temperature gauge on the car has stopped working (sat at cold all the way home, but worked this morning) , and the rad fans are going full speed on and off, its really loud. I used to be able to stop it by putting "ECON" on (A/C) off, but now that doesn't work. Also the car is parked up and switched off and the fans are pulsating on and off every 20 seconds or so.

Is this a coolant sensor fault or a fan fault as mentioned above?

Think i'm going to have to pull the fuse as I won't have a battery left by tomorrow (anyone know which fuse this is?)